Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

critics, LW AC 9....

Anonymous
Not applicable
I rendered this using lightworks about 6 months ago... and I can truly see alot of things that I could improve on when I look back at it. Background, roughness on certain materials, glass, lighting. I for one, wish I could've done different on the flooring.

So to understand and further learn and do better on future renders, I'm posting this image for suggestions and ideas.

Thanks for the time people.
2 REPLIES 2
Dwight
Newcomer
This rendering is pretty good, but it has some areas where improvement can be made - consult a photo of a room to see how subtle surface textures are - you can hardly see fabric or wood grain in a room photo, for instance:

Camera light - or whatever magic light ball floats in the center of the shot making ghoulish shadows: Bright glow against fireplace distracting. Need to make light more plausible by suggesting a dominant light direction - or is it a skylight opening over? Camera Light Bad!!!!!!!!!!!

ALso: chairs should all cast shadows to not float - light direction problem.

Composition excludes viewer: chair backs are barriers to engagement. No dynamic entrapment of the eye - the vision wanders... it is a space, but what is its story?

Wide angle distorts chair backs: tilt-o chair like bad video game. Fake it: Pull chairs toward camera and use narrow camera angle.

Oversaturated: use Photoshop to reduce intensity - too yellow.

Gorpy rug: Orange? Ick. Call 911: taste police.

No fire: easy enough to put an alpha channel image of flames there since an empty cavern is entire room's focus. Like if Beckett wrote "Waiting For Santa," but no milk and cookies wait for him on the table.

Too much black - chair sides, say. More ambient light will soften this.

Textures generally too big by a scale factor of 3: except for stacked fireplace stone. Never rely on their exaggerated Lara Croft texture sizing.

I know that when images are posted, we are supposed to ignore composition issues, but the exact placement of image elements makes the shot. THEN you plan the lighting to shape the illustration, creating a captivating scene.

First your sox, THEN your shoes.

I played with it in Photoshop to mixed benefit.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Dwight, your right. I never thought about that, I looked at some photos when I got home, its true, you hardly see fabric or wood grain…amazing. Yes!!!! Haha…the camera light! I admit, I committed a crime with that one! The light direction….now that I focus on it, yes there is a problem there…I have several light sources creating some boggling effects. Yes indeed, there is a skylight at the center.

Interesting note on the composition, I could see how the chair backs exclude whoever is looking at it. “entrapment of the eye”…. genius Dwight! That’s exactly what I would want to do….to keep the viewers eyes ‘warmly’ focused on the special space. Yeah, controlling camera angles have been my nightmare for a very long time. Gotta put that on my practice list.

I agree with the yellowness…it bothered me also. And the rug hahaha. Your right, your right…I could’ve spared the extra minute to insert a better rug. Great tip on the alpha channel image of flames for the fireplace (time to go flame hunting…anyone know a great place to get flame/fire images?)

More ambient light to lighten the dark areas, agreed. Texture scale, yeah, I depended on the Lara Croft sizes. Composition, I’m gonna have to take your side on that topic…recently, I’m slowly realizing how good composition plays a huge role on the total outcome.

Many thanks Dwight!
And also, awesome tweaks with the photoshop…it backs up a lot of your suggestions.
Thanks