BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

cropped worksheets vs 2D objects as graphics on layouts?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
Is an uncropped worksheet as heavy as the full worksheet on a layout? Say I have really big workshets with a lot goin on but I want to place just a tiny part like a scale on the layout. Is is dumb to crop the worksheet? Should I create a separate worksheet for the scale or should I make an objekt of it and place it on the layouts?
Br,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
I crop drawings all the time (plans, elevations, sections) for just the bit of information I want to show on a layout.
I don't actually use worksheets, but it would be the same.

Whether there is much of a file size difference between duplicating and cropping a drawing or just having a drawing of a new view that contains just the information you want I couldn't say without a bit of experimentation.

However duplicating information can lead to errors.
If you have the scale already in a worksheet then I would use that.
Creating a new worksheet to place the scale object again means the new one may not relate to your original worksheet (if it shows an automatic scale). And if you have to change one then you have to change the other manually.

Using cropped drawings all from the same source view means if you change the original once then everything will update in the layouts.

Likewise adding objects in the layout directly means it has no link to the original view, so showing the actual scale of the worksheet will not be automatic (if that is what your scale object does).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Barry wrote:
I crop drawings all the time (plans, elevations, sections) for just the bit of information I want to show on a layout.
I don't actually use worksheets, but it would be the same.

Whether there is much of a file size difference between duplicating and cropping a drawing or just having a drawing of a new view that contains just the information you want I couldn't say without a bit of experimentation.

However duplicating information can lead to errors.
If you have the scale already in a worksheet then I would use that.
Creating a new worksheet to place the scale object again means the new one may not relate to your original worksheet (if it shows an automatic scale). And if you have to change one then you have to change the other manually.

Using cropped drawings all from the same source view means if you change the original once then everything will update in the layouts.

Likewise adding objects in the layout directly means it has no link to the original view, so showing the actual scale of the worksheet will not be automatic (if that is what your scale object does).

Barry.
Thanks for your reply. I know the reason why to crop and not using duplicates. I'm just curious if it will bog down the project. I think it actually does. We have a heavy window schedule that we crop to show only the header.... I duplicated the schedule and filteret the copy to show no actual windows and re-linked all placed drawings to the new one and it was much better. I'll continue testing different alternatives regarding this. It a huge project with 2500 saved/cloned views...and it's messy and I'm trying to make it run better. We should have opted for the pmk strategy but now it's too late for that (at least I don't think I can split the proeject and auto link the views via pmk to the layouts.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Learn and get certified!