Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

curtain walling is giving mirror reflection?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have a model which has a mizture of normal windows and curtain walling with glazing. when i render it using lightworks, it renders all the normal window glazing properly, but is giving a mirror reflection to the curtain wall elements despite all materials on both the windows and the curtain walling being set to 24(Glass).

i have looked in the curtain walling parameters and i cant see any settings in there for mirror reflection? i dont want the mirror reflection, i want all the glazing to render the same.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
You need too change your material on curtain wall, I've got the same problems one time and what I remember was that this parameter is a bit tricky too find. But I use the swedish version of ArchiCad so maybe your version isn't exactly as mine.

Maybe if I'm not totally wrong about your problem, I think the parameter that set glas material is hide from parameterlist, try to open the object in GDL editor and have a look after glas material.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i've double checked and the glazing material in the curtain walling is set to "24(Glass)". i attach a screendump of the curtain wall settings, and an extract of my rendered model showing the large curtain wall panel in the centre with mirror reflection yet the other windows on that elevation are all reflecting normally.
mirrorwall.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
settings/parameters of the curtain wall:
Anonymous
Not applicable
aha cheers for that, i've opened the object in the editor thingy and some of the panel materials are set to "chrome" in there. so i changed them to glazing, but it wont let me save my settings unless i save it out as an object (which will mean me having to re-insert it and have to input all my sizes and move the transoms/mullions back to where they were - which took a long time in the first place!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
percybigun wrote:
aha cheers for that, i've opened the object in the editor thingy and some of the panel materials are set to "chrome" in there. so i changed them to glazing, but it wont let me save my settings unless i save it out as an object (which will mean me having to re-insert it and have to input all my sizes and move the transoms/mullions back to where they were - which took a long time in the first place!)
You have two choices (three if you count the tedious re-jiggering method).

1. If you modify and simply resave the library part the existing instances will update automatically and retain their existing parameter settings.

2. If you don't want to modify the original, save the part with a new name and use the syringe tool (command+option or ctrl+alt) when selecting the new part in the settings dialog.
Anonymous
Not applicable
how do i resave the standard library part with the modified settings, i cant see any way of saving it? i have also tried modifying it and saving it out with a different name (test.gsm) but i cannot find test.gsm anywhere in the object library to re-insert it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
well i worked out how to oversave the library object and i still had the same problem! in the end i cured the original problem by flipping the curtain walls and changing the frame thickness to 50mm. it seems that they are made from one-way glass!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Years ago I experienced the fact that glass thickness is not constant in all Doors/Windows in the Archicad library. Some of them have a cetain thickness, but some of them are are just a simple plane.
At that time this affected how they looked on Photorenderings.
Maybe this is a similar case that differences in glass thickness cause these problems.
Of course you would have to dig into the library objects' 3D script to verify this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Djordje
Ace
laszlonagy wrote:
Years ago I experienced the fact that glass thickness is not constant in all Doors/Windows in the Archicad library. Some of them have a cetain thickness, but some of them are are just a simple plane.
The scale and the 3d detail level settings also play a part. For example, if a 3D is at 1:200 or higher, the model will be wrong and a single plane of glass will float behind the mullions. Wrong plan, wrong 3D.

For 3D, always set the scale to 1:100 or 1:50. No view related level of detail for the objects, and they are definitely not scripted to change the detail level based on the distance from the camera by default ...

I suspect that the combination of single/double pane glass and material assignement is the culprit here ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen