Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

detail markers and autotext for layout cell Drawing ID

cremsberg
Participant
It is my understanding that a detail marker placed in a plan or section can be referenced so that the drawing ID automatically uses the matrix location of this detail in the layout. I can’t get this to work. I can label a detail “1” (in Project Map properties), but if I put it in cell “3” of the layout matrix, it is still referenced as “1”. Is there an autotext trick that I need to learn, or maybe some setting option that I have overlooked? I am only having this problem with drawing number. The sheet number seems to be working just fine. I am using title option called “Title with Layout No 10” in Drawing Selection Settings window. I am using “ Standard Detail Marker SE9”. Is there a better option for type of detail marker? I like a simple round bubble with drawing number over sheet number.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
cremsberg

Not sure about cell numbers as I never use them, but are cells 1 and 2 occupied? it might be that if you detail in cell 3 is the only one on the sheet (so far) it will always be number 1 in the list. You can re-order your drawings in your layout list to change their numbers once you have more than one drawing on the layout.

HTH
order.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
There's a fundamental misunderstanding here - the drawing itself needs to have it's ID assigned by Layout before this feature will take effect. You can do this by selecting the drawing(s) either on screen or in the Drawing Manager, then editing their settings. At the very top of the Drawing settings dialog, under the Identification tab, there's a Drawing ID setting. Take it off By View ID and change it to By Layout.

Then once a Grid for Drawing IDs has been established on the layout, the numbers will no longer be numbered by the order they are listed on the layout (as per Stuart's response), but by where they reside within the grid. More specifically where the 'Drawings occupying multiple cells should use drawing ID from cell at:' setting states in the Master Layout Settings dialog. For example if it is set to Bottom Left, that means it is the position of the very bottom left corner of the drawing that defines what cell it belongs to.

The inherent problem with doing this IME is that if a detail takes up more than one cell, the remaining cells are not renumbered. That is if you have a detail in cell 1, and another detail in cell 2 and 3, then the next detail will appear as number 4. It is not an architectural standard to have detail numbers skip like this. A good solution would be to allow us to define our grid cells using organic or polygonal shapes, like we do with the fill tool.

Another problem is that because the cell numbering is defined in the master, we need to create many different masters to deal with a different number of cells. It would make much more sense IMHO to have each individual layout define it's cell grid, especially if such settings could be copied or transferred from layout to layout.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Another problem is that because the cell numbering is defined in the master, we need to create many different masters to deal with a different number of cells. ...

My two cents.

Cheers,
Link.
Probably why I've not used the "feature".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office has started using the letter/number grid numbering, similar to a map grid. The horizontal rows are letters with the vertical columns are numbered. This gives a grid of A1, A2, B1, B2 etc. This way it's less confusing if a number is skipped.
cremsberg
Participant
OK, I figured this out myself, finally. Go to the settings window for the detail drawing that you have placed in a layout. For Drawing ID (at top left of window), select "By Layout". Now if you drag the detail drawing to a new cell in the layout grid, the detail drawing number should automatically change to match the new grid location. FYI: This is for ArchiCAD v10
Claire Remsberg

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
cremsberg
Participant
Link - have you added your comments to the wish list? If not, I will. Good ideas. Thanks
Claire Remsberg

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Millard wrote:
Our office has started using the letter/number grid numbering, similar to a map grid. The horizontal rows are letters with the vertical columns are numbered. This gives a grid of A1, A2, B1, B2 etc. This way it's less confusing if a number is skipped.
This is the National CAD Standard and is what we use. Multiple Masters for different detail arrangements? A silly waste of time if you ask me...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5