Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

door schedule 3D preview not displaying correctly

Liamthanks
Booster

I am trying to create a modified door schedule and have only just realised the preview image that is displayed in the schedule only displays correctly when the door swings outward, rather than inward. Can anyone explain how I can make this schedule show the view from the outside regardless of the direction it opens? 

To clarify, the external walls are always drawn with the reference line being on the outside face. In my head I thought it would be possible to 'show view from outside face of wall' or something like that. 

door schedule error.JPGdoor schedule.JPG
AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

The very first insertion point when you place a door needs to be on the side of the wall that you want as the reveal side.

The second click to place the door is when you decide where the door swings, inside, outside, left, right.

So the reveal side is the first side of the wall you click.

I always treat the reveal side as the outside sill (because it is), so I always place windows and doors with the reveal on the outside face of external walls.

With internal doors you will have a problem, because there is no real inside/outside.

That is why with schedules I prefer to show the opening from the door side, and that is why I no in the schedule title it is 'Elevation view from door side'.

Then there is no ambiguity - the door always opens towards you and if the hinge is on the left it is left hinged, on the right it is right hinged.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

You have chosen the field "View from opening side', so you will see the door fro the side it opens to.

Maybe try 'View from reveal side'.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hey Barry,

That then reverses the image, which doesn't help when I have a door that opens inward and outwards on the same project. 

AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM

It looks correct to me.

BarryKelly_0-1665465652149.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hmm, not working for me. You can see that D-03 and D-04 are facing the opposite direction to the other doors on the same line and these are not displaying correctly in the preview. I wonder if it has something to do with the object itself?

They are all made from the same object, but interestingly the bi-fold doors display correctly when opened outwards, however the hinged doors show correctly only opening inwards when reveal side is the nominated view. 

door schedule error 2.JPG

door schedule 2.JPG

  

After playing around with it some more, I think I have discovered the issue.  I was getting a similar error on the schedule when the insertion side of the door was done internally to make it open outwards too. Rather than using the "Flip" tool on the object, I was rotating the object to get it to open outwards.

As long as the door is originally placed on the outside face of the wall and I use the "Flip" tool to make the door open outwards, this displays correctly on the schedule for me. 

Solution

The very first insertion point when you place a door needs to be on the side of the wall that you want as the reveal side.

The second click to place the door is when you decide where the door swings, inside, outside, left, right.

So the reveal side is the first side of the wall you click.

I always treat the reveal side as the outside sill (because it is), so I always place windows and doors with the reveal on the outside face of external walls.

With internal doors you will have a problem, because there is no real inside/outside.

That is why with schedules I prefer to show the opening from the door side, and that is why I no in the schedule title it is 'Elevation view from door side'.

Then there is no ambiguity - the door always opens towards you and if the hinge is on the left it is left hinged, on the right it is right hinged.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yep, fully aware of all of that, however what I have found that is if the door is inserted normally and then rotated, it will not appear correctly on my schedule, however if I use the flip tool to get it to open the other direction (and then mirror if required), then it will show correctly. Newly placed doors do not really appear to be an issue when following your steps above, but the issue appears to arise when modifying an existing door swing, at least with my schedule anyway. 

That is because a 'rotate' will turn the entire frame around, so the reveal side rotates as well.

'Flip' will just flip the door leaving the frame and reveal as it was.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

You learn something new every day!