BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

global illumination

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
On any new bimx model I create, global illumination is greyed out. On older models it is still available. Any ideas as to why? I am still on ac19.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
6 REPLIES 6
Stephen wrote:
On any new bimx model I create, global illumination is greyed out. On older models it is still available. Any ideas as to why? I am still on ac19.
Pretty sure you have to tell it to do it when creating the hypermodel prior to the bimx export
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes you have to do it on the first bimx export it is a setting you need to change to activate it, you model can take substantially longer to create than the previous bimx when using global illumination one of our designs took up to 2 hours to export the saved file.
In saying that there is a good visual improvement.

And the other unfortunate thing is you are unable to save any changed settings ie if you change the shadows, sun azimuth, head height, view cone, or any other settings you are unable to save the bimx file again.

Not sure why Graphisoft have removed this functionality, say for example we only wanted our client to view it in a particular way, (perhaps all architectural white). we are now unable to do this. our client shouldnt be expected to change the settings themselves.
We should be able to contriol what we want the client to see.

perhaps there should also be a list of other shaders to activiate or deactivate for the bimx model (in addition to global illumination) with one that can be set to default, while others that we wouldnt normally use such as wireframe could be greyed out should they be left unticked.
Hans Roest
Booster
methy wrote:
[...] say for example we only wanted our client to view it in a particular way, (perhaps all architectural white). we are now unable to do this. our client shouldnt be expected to change the settings themselves.
We should be able to contriol what we want the client to see. [....]
We have the same problem with the new BIMx sinds AC20. It makes the app virtualy unusable for us, I want control over what my client is going to see / experience.

Is there a fix (comming up)?
Wokka
Contributor
Yep ridiculous move to force upload etc. We use bimx often just to check models, sight lines, textures quickly and easily. Now we have to publish the thing. Takes a lot longer and we have can't change GI, shadows to ave for out clients. Why can't I just save locally!! 1 step forward, 2 steps back..
Google Cardboard is great, cumbersome, but getting there..
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
you can still save bimx files locally when you publish either with the publisher or with the file menu
Wokka
Contributor
methy wrote:
you can still save bimx files locally when you publish either with the publisher or with the file menu
Yep, I understand that. But why do we have to choose GI when publishing? We will often build the model, check it in Bimx, and then if OK, apply GI. If it's a complex model with lots of trees and furniture, it can take ages on some of our older machines.. It just seems they have taken away some of the flexibility... my little rant on a hot summer morning.. sorry..
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render