Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

hiDPI and render resolution display

JohnJay
Expert

I've upgraded to a 4k monitor and have some questions

1.  The UI is mixed.  2D and 3D display of the model is great and lines are thin and crisp.  Icons and some UI text is a bit blurry - is there a setting to fix this or is that a current limitation?  It's usable but not 4k sharp

2.  When setting render resolution and viewing renders, the resolution numbers aren't right.  If I bring up the PhotoRendering Settings window and set the size to "Size to 3D window", resolution is set to 2256x1179, when it should be 3384x1769.  This has something to do with the 150% system scaling I have set in Windows settings

Similar thing if I view the 2256x1179 render in AC it fits the 3D window and indicates 100% size but if I copy and paste the image into PS it displays correctly at the smaller size

3.  Isn't there a dark mode in AC25?

Untitled-6.pngUntitled-6.jpg

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

I have read in other posts that Archicad does not seem to like system scaling very much.

If you do need to then keep use 200% - my interpretation is you are not trying to divide pixels at this scale - it is simply 2 to 1  ratio rather than 1.5 to 1.

Best is not to use any scaling at all, but if you only have a small monitor that can be hard to read.

I never understand why people by hi-res monitors to get more pixels, only to scale the resolution up to get effectively less pixels.

Sure get high_res for movies/games and if you are really into rendering.

But for Archicad standard res of 1920 x 1080 works just fine.

But that is just my way of thinking.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

+1 to if needing to scale, only scale by 200%.

Not sure if it will do anything, but have you looked at calibrating Clear Type. It's a setting in Windows. Not sure about Mac.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

200% on a 32" makes everything too big.  100% is too small... hence the 150% which is good for me

@Barry Kelly wrote:

I never understand why people by hi-res monitors to get more pixels, only to scale the resolution up to get effectively less pixels.

Sure get high_res for movies/games and if you are really into rendering.

But for Archicad standard res of 1920 x 1080 works just fine.

But that is just my way of thinking.

Barry.

Even though things are scaled up you still have 4x the number of pixels vs FHD, so in supported apps everything looks super clear and sharp

In Archicad even though some of the UI text and icons can look a bit soft, the things that matter - 2D and 3D views, added text, lines and so on are rendered correctly and look great

@Lingwisyer wrote:

+1 to if needing to scale, only scale by 200%.

Not sure if it will do anything, but have you looked at calibrating Clear Type. It's a setting in Windows. Not sure about Mac.

Ling.

The "correct" scaling depends on monitor size and personal preference

200% on a 32" is way too much for me, and in any case only makes the bitmap UI elements look worse because they're made even bigger

Unfortunately Clear Type did not help

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I have a 4K monitor but at that resolution text is too small for me. I did not want to use Scaling so I settled at 2560x1440 pixel resolution and kept Scaling at 100%.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

I'm happy with the monitor that I've bought

I posted to highlight the points in my OP that there is a bug, or an error, in the determination of the 3d window and render window pixel count, and that some of the icons and text is a bit fuzzy

Graphisoft can fix it or not.  If they don't I have a workaround that I've added to the many other workarounds