Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

how to save pdf so the text can not be copied? (Mac)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
how can I save my layouts as pdf so the other party can not copy and paste the text? saving with password does not accomplish that. I am on Mac platform.
thanks,
joseph
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
talked to apple, it is a problem with high sierra, they are working on it for next update.
thanks
Joseph

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dave Seabury
Advocate
WIN2PDF can do what you want

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Joseph,

On MacOS, when you use the PDF menu in the bottom left of the print dialog to save a PDF, you get a screen similar to the attached (El Capitan for screenshot).

Click the Security Options... button and rather than assign a password to open the document, check the box for "Require password to copy text, images and other content".

If you are using Publisher to generate the PDF, I didn't check to see if the options are available there...maybe?

You can always open an existing PDF in Preview (Mac) and rather than exporting a copy (only PW encryption offered), PRINT from Preview - and you'll get the same Security Options to add a copy prevention password.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
If you are using Publisher to generate the PDF, I didn't check to see if the options are available there...maybe?
Yes, it works even from Publisher. But, not when publishing to PDF - the options there don't give you want you want. Instead, change your PDF publishing set to be a Print set... and then click the Print Settings... button and go through the steps you would if you were saving to PDF. Click the PDF drop-down, Save as PDF, then the Security Options button to add the password to prevent copying.

I just tested and publishing this "print" set did save a PDF that could not have its content copied. (The Copy command is disabled in the Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader; attempting to copy from Mac Preview results in a prompt for the password.)

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Karl,

yet when I follow your steps in the simple steps of,
print>save as pdf>security options>check....copy....>password
when opening the pdf, I can copy the the text and no password is required!
any thoughts?
thanks,
joseph
Karl Ottenstein
Joseph wrote:
when opening the pdf, I can copy the the text and no password is required!
What did you open the PDF in? And could you really copy the text, vs just select it? You were able to paste it into a text document/etc? I'm able to cmd-A and select all text, but am unable to copy using any Adobe PDF product or Apple Preview...
Anonymous
Not applicable
it allows without password, I opened with preview, copied and paste to a text document and I am on high Sierra,
thanks
Joseph
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
talked to apple, it is a problem with high sierra, they are working on it for next update.
thanks
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Karl wrote:
... and then click the Print Settings... button and go through the steps you would if you were saving to PDF. Click the PDF drop-down, Save as PDF....

Karl
Hi Karl,
I could not publish the entire set of my layout but Only the last layout was published to pdf, (out of many layout sheets in the set) even though the print dialog the "Pages:All" is chosen?!
am I missing a point?
thanks,
Joseph
Learn and get certified!