BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

joining dormer roofs with main roof

Dave Brach
Advocate

Is there a way to join dormer roofs with a main roof?  Right now I just cut holes in the main roof in plan view, and the manipulate the shape of the dormer roofs in plan but it never looks correct on the inside

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 9.45.01 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-15 at 9.42.03 AM.png
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BrunoH
Expert

There's a simple way to do this. No need to convert to single roof plane.

Just create your complex roofs intersecting and select them.

Raccords toits 1.jpg

Rigth click and choose "Connect to Roofs/Shelves"

Raccords toits 2.jpg

 Click "Connect", that's all.

The result

Raccords toits 3.jpg

Raccords toits 4.jpg

The simpler way is always the best.

  

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

View solution in original post

Solution

You shouldn't need to use extra roofs.

Try moving the pivot line at the front of the dormer back to the front wall of the dormer - basically increasing the front eaves overhang.

This will adjust the roof trimming body, and it should then not cut the front of the lower wall off.

You just wont see it in plan.

BarryKelly_0-1676692010636.png

It is the trimming body that controls what cuts the lower roof when you use the 'trim' command.

It can be set to the extent of the roof or to the pivot lines.

You then adjust the pivot lines to be where you want the roof to cut other roofs.

So the pivot lines may not be where you want them to actually pivot the roof, but the good thing is so long as the roof is the correct pitch, it really doesn't matter where the pivot lines are as you can just elevate the roof to the correct height.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Karl Ottenstein

Does the usual selecting one roof and ctrl/cmd-clicking the edge of the other roof not work?  The mansard roof  looks like it would make this really challenging.

If nobody jumps in with exact instructions, perhaps you could select all of the roofs (main/mansard and the dormers) and save them as a module MOD and attach it to a post here so that nobody has to start from scratch to make sure that their advice works in your situation?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

The cmd+click to opposing roof method Karl mentioned should sort this. Dormer windows made from walls and roofs is witchcraft but it can be made to work. I find selecting all the roofs and showing only those in 3D using F4 or show selection in 3D is really helpful when connecting roofs. Also dragging them apart from each other at the junctions also makes things a bit easier. I’d be more than happy to show you how over a Teams call or something. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

The CMD+click method does not work.  As far as I can tell it only works with ridge lines of single plane roofs.  At least I cannot get it to work on complex roofs or joining valleys etc.  Am I wrong?  for dormers or cross gables I have alsways had to just create multiple roofs and manipulate in plan view.  I just thought it would be nice to join them to gether

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

@Dave Brach wrote:

The CMD+click method does not work.  As far as I can tell it only works with ridge lines of single plane roofs.  At least I cannot get it to work on complex roofs or joining valleys etc.  Am I wrong?  for dormers or cross gables I have alsways had to just create multiple roofs and manipulate in plan view.  I just thought it would be nice to join them to gether

Can you post the requested MOD file so one of us can try?  It does work as far as I know... hopefully it is an issue with the method you're using.  As Lee, I've always found success by pulling the edges fairly far apart before cmd-clicking.

At worst, you can use the command to convert the multiplane roofs to single plane ones.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I must be doing something wrong.  I appreciate your comments.  I'm not sure how to post a module file--when I drag and drop it, I get a message that the file type is not supported?

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

Put it in a .zip or similar container

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

You will need to ZIP the MOD file so you can attach it.

The CMD+click method only works with single plane roofs.

I find as soon as you want to start joining roofs at different heights like this, it is better to convert to single roof planes.

You have much better control.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Solution
BrunoH
Expert

There's a simple way to do this. No need to convert to single roof plane.

Just create your complex roofs intersecting and select them.

Raccords toits 1.jpg

Rigth click and choose "Connect to Roofs/Shelves"

Raccords toits 2.jpg

 Click "Connect", that's all.

The result

Raccords toits 3.jpg

Raccords toits 4.jpg

The simpler way is always the best.

  

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

The OP's dormers are a little higher than yours.

BarryKelly_0-1676539651405.png

Also you may have trouble where the the roofs overlap and the main roof tucks under the dormer roof up to the dormer wall.

You can play around with the roof trimming body set to 'Pivot Lines', but then the pivot lines have to match the outside of the wall, which may not be wanted.

Set it up as multi-plane roofs and do the initial trim, but I still think it is easier to manipulate exactly as you want with single roof planes.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!