Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

layer combination in layouts

Dave Brach
Advocate

I have a master layout for all of my architectural layouts, and I have a few different layers on the master to show/ hide a few items.  I had assumed that if I make a layer visible on the master layout, it would show in the layouts that use the master, but I see that is not the case.  But there is also no layer combination on layouts, so how do I turn layers on/off on a master and have it show up on all the layouts that use the master?

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

Yes, there is layer combination control over layers for the layout book.  The chosen layer combination affects every layout - you do not get per-sheet control.  Further, the layers in the combination that have any affect are just those layers used for particular items on the sheet(s) and master.

For example, I've always prefixed the layers that I use only in the layout book (and master) with zlbk - to sort them to the bottom of my layer list out of the way (z for sorting, lbk for layout book).  I have a zlbk layer for warning notices such as "PRELIMINARY  - NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION" that are enabled with a "zz Print Set - Preliminary" layer combination, but turned off for the "zz Print Set - Final" layer combination.  Etc.

It sounds like you might just need to create layer combinations for the things you want shown/hidden on your master?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

Yes, there is layer combination control over layers for the layout book.  The chosen layer combination affects every layout - you do not get per-sheet control.  Further, the layers in the combination that have any affect are just those layers used for particular items on the sheet(s) and master.

For example, I've always prefixed the layers that I use only in the layout book (and master) with zlbk - to sort them to the bottom of my layer list out of the way (z for sorting, lbk for layout book).  I have a zlbk layer for warning notices such as "PRELIMINARY  - NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION" that are enabled with a "zz Print Set - Preliminary" layer combination, but turned off for the "zz Print Set - Final" layer combination.  Etc.

It sounds like you might just need to create layer combinations for the things you want shown/hidden on your master?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

where does one set the layers for the master layout?? 

AC26
https://www.zendsign.fr/

As far as I can tell, you open any layout in the layout book,  use your quick options, or quick layers to change the layer combination.  This change happens on every layout in the layout book (including the masters) and as Karl mentioned it only controls layers in the layouts.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB