Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

live 3d section video?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way, in AC11 or any other program, to take a model (made in AC11) and create a rendered movie of a section plane moving through the building?

In effect, much like moving a section plane through a model in SketchUp, but with the graphical output rendered rather than like SketchUp...
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you are looking for "Create fly through". Search in help menu how it works.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You can't do it in ArchiCAD, but any decent animation package should be able to do it. 3D Studio for example.

Chers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
With all due respect, I believe this CAN be done, but not with the simplicity and not as "live" as in Sketchup.

"Live, Sort-Of"

In the 3D OpenGL view, your "section line" would be a large block used to SEO the target object. You'd pull the block around and push it into the object where you wanted a peek. This could be quite slow depending on the complexity of the model.

"Animation, More-Or-Less"

I suspect that with a little GDL, this large block could be moved to SEO the model, being moved through the rebuilt-every-frame model with code linked to the animation frame like we do with the opening door trick.

Any GDL experts want to tackle this one with a short script for a parametric block with a displacement link??
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, sorry, missunderstanding your question, I think Dwight is on the right way. I think it could be done with GDL and the part in GDL where you have a part that coop with SEO but isn't visible to the eye. And a timevalue that make the GDL object change size on time-axis.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Whew...this is all overwhelming to me....Im not that advanced a user yet. I hate to be a bother but could I perhaps get a more mid-level explaination?
I think I somewhat get the main concept: each frame would have the section plane move just a fraction more, correct? I know I can manage this, but once you get into the cameras, key frames, etc stuff then I get a bit comfused as Im just in the past day or two beginning to explore this feature.

Thanks for all the input!
Dwight
Newcomer
Kid: Relax.

The coding trick i describe is too advanced for you right now.

Just play with using a big slab to chop your model using the Solid Element Operation to get the point of how this is done. Read the manual for this useful trick.

Somebody - maybe even me - will come up with the code solution and might make a simple object to solve the problem for everyone.

But not tonite, eh?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes indeed.

I believe I can just do as you say, then rendering each frame with, say, a 1" move or so, then compile the files into a video. Certainly more tedious but shouldn't be too difficult overall. Good enough until I can manage my way around scripts and all that jazz.

Thanks for the help!
Dwight
Newcomer
Excellent Archicad Anonymous attitude!

"One frame at a time"

I would love to see the result.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ill post here when its done...may be a few years but ill get it

Thanks again!