BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

losing 3D texture mapping on Open GL Engine view in AC16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I might not be using the correct terminology, but the texture maps (ie... if I use brick as a material, it shows a brick image in the 3D view) are not showing up in the Open GL 3D Engine view. The view looks similar to the internal Engine view.

The computer is a Windows 8.1, 64 bit machine with a GeForce 745 video card. I just updated the driver, so that is not the problem. I have a similar computer at my house, except it has a GeForce 645 video card. It has no problems. My wife has a laptop with an internal video card. Her texture maps have never shown, but we thought it was just the lack in video card.

Does anyone know what the issue is? It was working fine until today.

thanks
8 REPLIES 8
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
jballar,

Your terminology is fine. It sounds like the texture is missing from the brick Surface you are using. Texture image files get stored in your library after being added to a project. Go to Options>Element Attributes>Surfaces and locate the Brick Surface you are using on your walls.

In the Surface Setting dialog, set the Engine Settings to OpenGL and check under the Textures panel to see if there is an image file in the preview window. Otherwise it will say "No Picture Selected." At that point you need to click the "Search..." button and browse for an image file in your libraries or on your computer.

HelpCenter - Surface Texture Panel

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Barry Kelly
Also make sure that the 'Textures' option is turned on for the OpenGL options in the 3D Window Settings dialogue.
It should be on by default.

Barry.
OpenGL_textures_2.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Textures are part of the libraries, check the library loading report palet if some are missing. You could be using a .PLA file that is missing them, or the cached version of your library could be corrupted (check the work environment to see where your cache folders are).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the replies. However, unfortunately the suggestions did not solve the problem. As for the surface suggestion, I could not find anything about surfaces in Archicad or the help link. Is that something that was used after AC16? Just curious.

To help describe what I am dealing with, I have attached 2 images of the same model. One image has the textures mapping correctly, and the other one it is not. For some reason, the only way I can get the textures to map correctly is to open up another file, from before I had the problem, go into 3D view, close it and open up the file I am working on. I know it sounds weird, but maybe it is the library caching file that is corrupt (like was suggested). If that is the case, can I simply delete it and it will create a new one, or is it more complicated than that?

Again, thanks for any feedback
Anonymous
Not applicable
No texture image
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
jballar wrote:
As for the surface suggestion, I could not find anything about surfaces in Archicad or the help link. Is that something that was used after AC16? Just curious.
The term "Materials" was used in AC17 and prior. This was changed to "Surfaces" in AC18, to better differentiate from the new attribute "Building Materials". So in the AC16 Help files you should be looking at Materials. In the AC16 Help file look at: User Interface Reference > Dialog Boxes > Material Settings Dialog Box > Material Texture Panel.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I figured out what the issue was. It worked on my desktop and my wife's laptop.

The problem had to do with Quicktime. On my computer it was corrupted and was not working properly. On my wife's computer, it was not installed at all. After uninstalling it on my computer, we both installed a fresh version. Now everything works fine.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
jballar:

Thanks for posting your solution, it may help someone else searching the forum for a similar issue.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!