Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

maximum camera distance

Anonymous
Not applicable
in our office we are trying to model the position of a building so that the view from its windows look directly towards a mountain which is 36km away! the building is modeled and we have tried representing the mountian with either a cone/ roof/ wall/ slab but when viewing the mountain from within the building through its windows, the 3D is distorted and walls diapear etc. If you take away the moutain the 3D is fine. we assume this is because of the distance, 36km.

Anyone know the maximum distance/ area you can model in archicad before the 3D goes skrewey?

Cheers!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know about what distances would work, but I suggest you try a mountain half the size half as far away. And if that doesn't work go to half again. Let us know what you find out.
Karl Ottenstein
I've modeled terrain that was 25 km away from the building without problems. But, ArchiCAD does have problems when things are 'too far' from the origin.

You might try Artlantis (free demo period of the download), which should not have problems - and handles more polygons then ArchiCAD as well, allowing you to bring in the entire distant mountain scape from Google Earth and look out your window towards it, rather than just a cone.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
Here's a scene extending 47,000. metres.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
I think the problem is your Open GL distance setting not being set high enough.
Dwight Atkinson