BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

missing PDFs

Jefferson
Participant
Trying to publish some views straight out of ArchiCAD for client review. [this is NO problem from Plotmaker] I have attached a screen shot of the setup dialog boxes, which I believe indicate things are correctly set up to drop into a dedicated spool folder.

AC goes through all the motions of printing to file but they do not appear in the folder. Further a windows search can't find them either. Any ideas about a default location they might have migrated to assuming I "gave them bad directions"?

I am not inclined to repeat/test this process multiple times, mostly because I hate the idea of bulking up of unknown/non-locateable files.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
Trying to publish some views straight out of ArchiCAD for client review.
I seem to remember each view overwriting the previous one in the set. I believe the PDFs are not named according to the views but each view is named with the same name as the previous, thereby overwriting.

Use the publisher for publishing to other formats (mainly PM) - but use "Print" for PDF. It takes longer because you need to activate each view and then print, one by one, but at least it works.
Jefferson
Participant
Hi Kim,

Haven't seen your name here for a while.........I agree about pdfs straight from printing if your trying to "deliver" any views straight from AC. It's more work but at least predictable! This is a breeze from Plotmaker but I'm not always looking to send the entire sheet, hence the attempt from AC. When Link was here last we had some print files go missing but I just can't recall where we eventually found them. Like the missing sock, wallet or car keys, they'll turn up when I least expect or need them.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
Haven't seen your name here for a while.........
Can't get the newsgroup in this country - so it's taken till now to make time to get back into following the Talk online...
This is a breeze from Plotmaker
Definitely - it's great!
but I'm not always looking to send the entire sheet, hence the attempt from AC.

Ideally - publishing to PDF from AC needs to work, of course. But while we wait for a fix, this is the workaround I use.
Djordje
Ace
kimfromzim wrote:
Jefferson wrote:
but I'm not always looking to send the entire sheet, hence the attempt from AC.

Ideally - publishing to PDF from AC needs to work, of course. But while we wait for a fix, this is the workaround I use.
Well, guys ...

If you define your publishing set with appropriate AC views AND your PDF writer as the specified PRINTER, meaning that you are effectively printing, you can print the stuff into a PDF book immediately. Seem to remeber there was a problem with this on the Mac?

Have to try ... long time since I did his, easier to publish to PDF in 9 (still pre-release, argh!)
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
If you define your publishing set with appropriate AC views AND your PDF writer as the specified PRINTER, meaning that you are effectively printing, you can print the stuff into a PDF book immediately. Seem to remeber there was a problem with this on the Mac?

Have to try ... long time since I did his, easier to publish to PDF in 9 (still pre-release, argh!)
I've had no problems printing to PDF on the Mac. Perhaps I just haven't needed to do something that can't be done, but so far I've been able to do whatever I need. If only we could IMPORT pdf to PM, I would be a very happy guy.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
If you define your publishing set with appropriate AC views ... you can print the stuff into a PDF book immediately.
Yep - but the problem is when one selects "current view" one has to resize the window for each view to exclude unwanted info, as the window shape may be different to printing intention - so each print needs to be done separately in those instances. But the booklet is great if it's not a sectioned-off part of the drawing.
Djordje
Ace
kimfromzim wrote:
Djordje wrote:
If you define your publishing set with appropriate AC views ... you can print the stuff into a PDF book immediately.
Yep - but the problem is when one selects "current view" one has to resize the window for each view to exclude unwanted info, as the window shape may be different to printing intention - so each print needs to be done separately in those instances. But the booklet is great if it's not a sectioned-off part of the drawing.
Ooops ... got too used to PrintMarquee in 9 ... does wonders!

Also, PlotMaker 9 crops; or, more accurately, the frame frames the view.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Jefferson
Participant
Yeah!

Can you publish a "set" of print marqueed .PDFs from Plotmaker? I know asking a lot but as I indicated in the initial post there are occasions when that is exactly what you're after.........and with 8.1's limitations this is too much hassle as opposed to just printing individual .PDF views.

And I still have some .PDFs floating/missing/lost in/around my virtual file file cabinet........no ideas yet about that.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Learn and get certified!