BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

new material inside the default materials list

Anonymous
Not applicable
I everyone

i need to know how can i have a new material created by me, inside the default materials list to use in all other projects.

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
That is not possible.

When you create a material, it is within a project.

You can use that project as a TEMPLATE for future projects - it will have the material. But if you do a NEW AND RESET, the original defaults return.

You can also import specific Attributes (materials and other fundamental saved aspects) from one project into another.

But this must happen one-project-at-a-time, until you establish a material as part of a template file.
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
Dwight wrote:
That is not possible.
that's not strictly true. whilst the template route is perhaps the best method for maintaining standards, you can write a masterGDL-type file that defines material(s). place it in your company library and every time you load that library the material will be available for use . . .
DEFINE MATERIAL "Red Brick" 10, 
0.878294, 0.398199, 0.109468, 
0.58, 0.85, 0.0, 0.0, 
0.878401, 0.513481, 0.412253, 
0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 
IND(FILL, "common brick")
. . . for example, and saved in a file called "Master_GDL_CoMats.gdl" will produce a material called "Red Brick" in materials lists in any project that loads that file as a part of its libraries.

it would be a good idea to prefix materials created in this way with a company name/abbreviation so that it can later be identified as to where it came from (are you listening mr cadimage?! )

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
Fair Enough, but defining a material with code makes it cryptic. The approach works well enough for fills, colors, and texture maps, but the script gets unwieldy as you add the LightWorks Shader definitions - for real material definitions.

I don't think that last aspect has been documented, yet.
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
Dwight wrote:
... but the script gets unwieldy as you add the LightWorks Shader definitions - for real material definitions.

I don't think that last aspect has been documented, yet.
true. and it's something i wouldn't attempt . . . but it could be a method for a cad manager to employ for the purpose . . .

cheers!
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
Right.

Just the kind of cryptic feifdom created by an AutoCAD CAD manager in the old days.

"Only I wield the material skills!"(emoticon of evildoer winding moustache)
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!