BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

new vs old bimx

Dave Brach
Advocate
I just realized my BIMx pro on iPad pro is legacy and downloaded the new viewer app. I have about 30 projects on the old app, which I use as a portfolio with prospective clients. Do I need to download each project one-by-one onto the new app?? also when I go to the transfer site to grab a new project from my firm, it wants to open it in the old app--how do I change that default? do I need to delete the old app? (I'd like to keep both for now)
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
43 REPLIES 43
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rex,

Did you see that Graphisoft is running a BIMx-related survey looking for user input and people's experiences and needs?:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74235
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
LaszloNagy wrote:
Rex,

Did you see that Graphisoft is running a BIMx-related survey looking for user input and people's experiences and needs?:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74235
Hi Laszlo,

Yes, I did. I filled it out also. I do have concerns as it had no question at all about our thoughts about the current user experience or the visual quality of the app. It only asked questions regarding client interaction with change orders or issues; mostly BIM related items only... nothing about presentation. It's worrisome because it sends a message that GS is positioning BIMx to only offer services as a BIMcloud accessory. BOTH which are an extra charge.

As it is now, you can't use it as a presentation tool any longer as it will detract from the design with it's very poor visual quality. I'm hanging onto BIMx Legacy like a cliff's edge using my finger nails.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
rszabo wrote:
Hi,

I'm happy to let you know that we are not planning to remove BIMx (legacy) from App Store. However, it will not receive further updates since we're focusing on fine-tuning the renewed mobile app alongside the web and desktop versions.

Kind regards,
Roland
Hi Roland,

Any update on how GS will address the concerns of render/visual quality? We haven't heard anything lately, and the new survey is only "issue/change order" related. It is concerning that GS seems to be catering to a niche market.

Thanks!
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Roland Szabo
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear All,

Please note that a survey doesn't reflect the priority between our currently running BIMx related projects. I confirm we're actively working on visual quality improvements, the best of our developers are investigating different methods to make rendering more realistic.

Providing a well-working solution without reducing stability and 3D navigation performance need some time. Based on the successful feedback on our previous survey we plan to do a similar round when we have a few alternatives for the visual enhancements as well.

Kind regards,
Roland
Roland Szabo
BIMx Product Manager
Thanks Roland!
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Hello,

I realized that I can no longer use the VR function on android since the update of the BIMx application. Would you have made the same observation?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Hi Roland, is there any hope of getting rid of the prompt to download BIMx from BIMx Legacy. This is really problematic. No one who has BIMx Legacy needs to update to BIMx because installing BIMx Legacy in lieu of BIMx is intentional.

My clients keep getting that prompt and downloading the app no matter how many times I advise them not to. They always ask what happened to the model (rendering-wise but even more so they notice the loss of parallel views which is a BIG part of my presentations to them). Well, not the "loss" of the view, but the functionality. Parallel view default to a 0,0,0 origin point starting view.

Can R&D simply push an update to BIMx Legacy removing this prompt?

Thank you!
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

@Roland Szabo Hi Roland, can you provide some feedback on this. This prompt really needs to go...

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Roland Szabo
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hello Rex,

The legacy application will not receive a new update. The Version Info in the first launch provides essential information, removing it would easily result in more inconvenient misunderstandings.

We're actively working on enhancing the renewed BIMx to provide new benefits in the future. Hopefully, these improvements will convince the few BIMx (legacy) users to update to the supported version. 

Roland Szabo
BIMx Product Manager

Hi Roland,

Any news on the fix for the visuals for BIMx? It's been nearly two years now since the new BIMx took away global illumination and we really need our BIMx models to look nice again for presentations (as well as adding back parallel projections and stereo3D.)

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx