Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

partial strucutre display not available in menu

cremsberg
Participant
Why would the Partial Structure Display be gray (unavailable) in the menu? I am working on a detail drawing and am having difficulty with dimensions displaying, which I believe is also making havoc with my creation of PDFs from layouts. I would like to delete dimensions that are not on proper structure display mode and then redo them on my desired Partial Structure Display mode, but I don't know how to control this mode in detail views. AC14.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
cremsberg wrote:
Why would the Partial Structure Display be gray (unavailable) in the menu? I am working on a detail drawing and am having difficulty with dimensions displaying, which I believe is also making havoc with my creation of PDFs from layouts. I would like to delete dimensions that are not on proper structure display mode and then redo them on my desired Partial Structure Display mode, but I don't know how to control this mode in detail views. AC14.
Your detail is apparently an "independent" (unlinked) detail - no connection to the model at all. That's the only time I can reproduce the behavior you see. Normally, details are linked to a source view - and whatever PSD setting is used by the source view is used by the detail (and can NOT be changed - you must capture a different source view if you want a different PSD, or be willing to change the source view).

A detail drawing that was once linked can become independent if you delete the detail callout marker from the source view - you'll be asked if you want to keep the detail as an independent detail. At that point, it is just a capture of linework and fills. A bit risky for things like wall sections if the model changes, as the detail will not reflect the changed model. Not a big detail for 'typical' details that are just 2D drafting anyway.

To get a linked detail again, you'll have to place a fresh source marker in a proper source view.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
cremsberg
Participant
Karl - Thanks for your suggestions. That helps greatly with my understanding. Perhaps the PSD is not actually the root of my current problem, which is of having my PDFs not open or print correctly. PDFs are what I send to my print service. I am attaching files of what my PDF looks like and the error message I get when I open the PDF. Not all my detail files are causing problems and I was only suspecting it to be a PSD problem. I've been doing details the same way for a while and have never encountered this before. I just did a hotfix update, hoping to correct, but no improvement. The problem presents itself as a text-missing problem, but my printer service tells me the page won't print at all. It prints as viewed on screen (missing text) on my office printer.
Claire Remsberg

cremsberg
Participant
This the error message I get when I open my PDF file.
Claire Remsberg

cremsberg
Participant
Mind you, this is probably the first job with details where I have tried to print layouts (via PDFs) since I upgraded from AC12 to AC14. This project started in AC12.
Claire Remsberg

Karl Ottenstein
Hmmm. What is the font used by the missing text? (Do you have an option available in creating the PDF to embed licensed fonts if it is a non-standard font?)

How are you creating the PDF - Save As, print to virtual PDF printer, publish to PDF, etc? Could you post a PDF of just that one detail for others to examine?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
cremsberg
Participant
Well, I rebuilt the offending details and got my layout to make a clean PDF. In the process I sharpened my suspicion that it had something to do with dimensioning, which I still don't clearly understand. I could not find a control for this in dimension settings, but when I option-clicked on dimensions that behaved properly in another detail, I was able to successfully use those settings in my reconstructed details.
Claire Remsberg

cremsberg
Participant
I used the same font that works successfully elsewhere. See earlier post above, Picture 7 - PDF, which shows snapshot of my PDF and the detail where the text is missing, even though I think it was the dimensioning which was screwing up the works. I was using Publisher to create the PDF of my layout page. Final word - my problem for the day has been solved, but I wish I understood the underlying issue better. I strongly believe it is an AC14 and later issue.
Claire Remsberg

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can publish a PDF with the suspect Dimensions visible and one without them. If the PDF without those dimensions is fine, then you know there is definitely a problem with those dimension. If the PDF still has problems, then either it is not the dimensions, or it is the dimensions and also something else.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27