BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

plotmaker trouble when the heat is on

__archiben
Booster
2 days of crashing.
6 hours of lost work.
1 hour wasted re-installing 8.1 release candidate 5 because it is more stable than the 8.1 CD that arrived yesterday...

...and now plotmaker is not recognising my space bar.

1 steps forward, 2 step backwards. what gives graphisoft?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
11 REPLIES 11
Djordje
Ace
~/archiben wrote:
1 hour wasted re-installing 8.1 release candidate 5 because it is more stable than the 8.1 CD that arrived yesterday...
This is funny, as they are the same build (1307?)

Hm?

You sure something else is not awry?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rick Thompson
Expert
~/archiben wrote:
2 days of crashing.
6 hours of lost work.

...and now plotmaker is not recognising my space bar.

1 steps forward, 2 step backwards. what gives graphisoft?

~/archiben
hummm...I read this right after I installed over RC5 from the CD, but it has the same build number as RC5 (1307), which I thought it was supposed to, but without installing you can't tell. The spacebar spaces in Plotmaker still. Maybe I will crash all day, I hope not, but all seems the same to me here. Since your CD came ysterday, I don't understand the 2 days of crashing being tied to the "unstable" CD?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
__archiben
Booster
Djordje wrote:
This is funny, as they are the same build (1307?)
djordje,
your words not mine!: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=2237&highlight=package+different#2237

rick,
2 days: yesterday and today (bit vague i admit - more like a day and a half perhaps?!). no crashes for weeks. install the 'official' 8.1 and crashes ensued for both myself and another guy using archiCAD heavily here at the moment.

i'm back to RC5 and all seems well for the present . . . fingers crossed.

~/archiben (feeling pretty annoyed at the moment, and have missed a deadline)
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
okay

so i was a little irate earlier and lost it a bit. i apologise.

however:

having missed the deadline and it being friday evening here now, i decided on a complete reinstall of the 'official' 8.1 from the CD. i am calm again.

i deleted absolutely everything graphisoft/plotmaker/plotflow/WIBU from OSX's various libraries, (preferences, caches, application support, frameworks), and application folder and started from scratch.

having performed this completely clean install of archiCAD 8.1 i restarted the computer and launched archiCAD. nothing. well almost nothing. i get the splash screen and then the bug reporter pops up.

i tried repairing permissions, logging out and in again, rebooting . . . same result: splash screen then bug reporter.

now this may have something to do with me running panther, although it didn't seem to be a problem all of last week with release candidate 5, or even the first install of 8.1 final release yesterday morning. but: this is the exact same thing that happened to a colleague this morning having installed 'official' 8.1 over RC5 on OSX 10.2.

so. i've just performed a completely fresh install again for RC5. i repeated all of the steps above and it works a dream . . .

so: the same question, albeit from a calmer state of mind:

what gives graphisoft?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Rick Thompson
Expert
~/archiben wrote:
okay

so i was a little irate earlier and lost it a bit. i apologise.

however:

having missed the deadline and it being friday evening here now, i decided on a complete reinstall of the 'official' 8.1 from the CD. i am calm again.

so: the same question, albeit from a calmer state of mind:

what gives graphisoft?

~/archiben
You are on the UK version...right? I wonder if any other UKer's are having the same issue (besides your friend). But, just for reference, I am on panther 10.3.1, US version, and a G5. I was on RC5 and today installed the CD, and everything seems to work as expected. Could it be a bad CD, or the UK version with panther? It is probably UK's karma for encouraging Bush...what else?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a similar problem with 8.1. When starting up AC8.1, the program would load the libraries, then crash. I deleted the "LibraryEnumerationCache.dat" files found in each library folder and the crashes went away. US Tech support does not understand these files, why they are created, or their purpose, but one of my files must have been corrupted. After you trash them, the next time you open AC, it creates new ones. I do not know if this is related to your problems but it can't hurt. No I did not use the special menu for updated my libraries to 8.1.
__archiben
Booster
dr lau

it doesn't get as far as loading libraries. the second that the splash screen comes up it crashes and throws up the bug reporter. this was after a clean install - i did get it running on thursday morning after a "fresh installation" on top of 8.1 RC5, albeit crashing regularly, moreso in plotmaker.

a colleague had the startup:crash problem the day after a similar fresh installation, presumably after an overnight reboot i guess.

i can only hope that it is a bad installation disk, or something similar. it may be looking for a resource to load on startup and either not finding it, or finding it corrupt.

does anybody know if there is anywhere i can download the whole 8.1 INT final version from? i'd like to have another go with a different install package. i'll be calling our dealers first thing on monday morning anyway...

i guess i was a bit hasty yesterday. we have had 8.1 RC5 running for a while now on several big jobs: it was far more stable, even as a beta release, than continuing to use 8.0v3.

i lost it because archiCAD has consistently made me look a fool ever since convincing the office to upgrade to 8. having just passed the official 8.1 final release around for the whole office to upgrade and then people beginning to experience crashes again after weeks without was the last straw. company directors don't want to know about alpha, beta or gold master releases, build or version numbers. they just want to know that for their investment, staff are delivering the right output at the right time.

as i said, i really do hope that i'm proved wrong about the 8.1 final release and that it is a bad disk. here's hoping . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Djordje
Ace
~/archiben wrote:
as i said, i really do hope that i'm proved wrong about the 8.1 final release and that it is a bad disk. here's hoping . . .
Just remember that Murphy was an optimist.

Not helpful, sorry,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Aussie John
Newcomer
Ben,
did you find all your preferences?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!