Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

preparing rendering for a photomotage

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a question about rendering. Is there a way that I can import a background image of the site in ArchiCad, so I can set up correct perspective view of the building before I render it. Or if there is another way that it could be done I would like to know.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
This is a tricky question, because aligning a perspective viewpoint with a background image is mainly a manual task.

Archicad has an "Align Tool," but it requires several logical reference points in the background image to automatically locate the camera location. [See the reference manual for the procedure]

To put a photo in the background, go to the Photorendering Settings dialog and assign an image.

Then, return to the OpenGL 3D Window Settings and assign the background "As in Photorendering." Make sure that your 3D view window is the size of the photo. You can now navigate the camera view to align the model with the context.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
And...

If at all possible, when you go out and take your context photo, record the location in space (x,y,z) you took the photo from. Even though you won't be able to get an 'exact' fix on your target point, just having a good reference for your camera point will definitely get you close enough.

I know.. seems obvious, but just wanted it said!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find it easier to assign a specific background photo to a texture and apply it to a wall with 'constant' shading selected. In the 3D window you can set a camera view and move the background around in the 3D view until it lines up. You can also use a curved wall for a panoramic effect
Greg D
Participant
I imported a site context photo and set it as the photorendering background image. Then I created a photrendering, captured the image, and set it on the plan view (which could be done on the worksheet). That allowed me to bring in the original site context image and cut it up to place in front of the model where necessary. A bit tedious, but it looks great.

I have one issue: Is there a way to equate the view angle within ArchiCAD and the view angle of the camera lens? (And this made more difficult with a zoom lens)? I have been trying to find a calculator for this, but camera folks don't know what I'm talking about.

This is important if you are trying to get the same perspective on camera and photorendering. Any thoughts?
Greg Danskin - Architect
http://www.danskinarchitecture.com

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does the chart in this thread help?

Another thread with more discussion about lens effects.
Greg D
Participant
I would appear that the most effective use of time is to merge and nudge. Interesting thread. Someday it will all work seamlessly!

I have found that finding some vertical elements (street lights, signs) are a great assist in getting the view angle/perspective to match, though I find it takes me a wee bit more than a few minutes!

Thanks for the redirect s2art!
Greg Danskin - Architect
http://www.danskinarchitecture.com

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find when placing a building in an existing urban context to take the shot, on hi-res, at the site that I want to render building. Then noting that location, place my station point in the model at the same location, render the building from my real life camera position. Then bring both the rendered building and photo into photoshop. Adding entourage, growies, and dodge out what is not needed in the photo. In CS3 good tools to reshape rendered image to photo.

I find this gives the best control for lighting and levels adjustments to both images to create a seamless view. Then to top it off running several filters as overlays.