BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

printing file

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there anyone here, send their archicad drawing to a repro to print their drawings? what file type did you send?

xphome/ac7r3
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have used plot files (HPGL aka *.plt) and .pdf (Adobe Acrobat format) successfully. Each has pros and cons but .pdf is probably the best bet for the long run. HP is no longer including HPGL as a standard feature on their large format printers (which they no longer call plotters) which suggests to me that it is on the way out.

PDF files are larger and you have to be careful about their tendency to be reduced to fit the printer's margins, but they have the advantage of always printing as remotely as they print locally and as they appear on screen.

PLT files are smaller (sometimes MUCH smaller) but they are dependent on the remote service setting up their drivers correctly. This SHOULD be very simple (it's just a matter of letting the file determine all the settings) but is nevertheless often a problem. One time it was impossible to to talk them through it (there was also a bit of a language problem) but the PDFs worked fine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks matthew,
i need to print to 24 x 36 and i just saw the pdf (acrobat distiller) doesn't have that size...can i custom the size? and where should i do that?

ac7r3/xphome
Djordje
Ace
lsid wrote:
i need to print to 24 x 36 and i just saw the pdf (acrobat distiller) doesn't have that size...can i custom the size? and where should i do that?
In the Distiller, go to Properties, and open Custom page size; there you can type in any size.

Try also the Amyuni PDF Writer you got with your ArchiCAD 8.x ... it's free! 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Djordje wrote:
lsid wrote:
In the Distiller, go to Properties, and open Custom page size; there you can type in any size. Don't have it here, so cannot check.

When you get ArchiCAD 8.x, you also get the Amyuni PDF Writer ... free 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!