Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

"View from Sun." Is it possible?

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I need to create solar access diagrams that show views of a building as if you were looking from Sun. I just wonder if anybody knew how to create that.

So far my findings are:
obviously we can use altitude and azimuth of Sun provided by AC however

1. you can't use perspective view as you would have to place the camera target individually on each window glass pane.

2. axonometry views - I am not sure how I can calculate Sun's altitude... or is it geometrically impossible with this kind of projection?

Anything that could point me to a right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.
::rk
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
How is your GDL Rob??
I'd create an object that had a center point (mid house) and then
listed a z height out at a given radius and places a simple 2D x to position the camera on. This would be done with the GLOB_SUN_AZIMUTH and GLOB_SUN_ALTITUDE and some trig that I cant fathom at this moment in time!
27hrs without sleep sitting in an airport lounge in Auckland will do that to you though!

It will still be time consuming though as you will have to place a camera for every time/date combo you use.

Hope that helps
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Kristian,
I'd create an object that had a center point (mid house) and then
my GDL is brilliant, sometimes I talk to my boss in this language

this is wrong assumption mate I have been a victim of too. Perspective does not work in this case with AC as it works with the target point.

In meanwhile I have managed to work it out, sort of. I came to realisation that when you are looking from Sun you can't see any shadows. So I used axonometry plan view rotated by azimuth and then manually lifted camera till all shadows were obstructed by building structures (so the altitude was right). Not really Computer Aided Design approach though but I got what I wanted.
27hrs without sleep sitting in an airport lounge in Auckland will do that to you though!
we simply take drugs here. it is more convenient and faster.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Set the controls to the heart of the sun? (Pink Floyd)

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!