Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

text not showing up in pdf

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have been using an architectural font called TektonPro

We recently bought a new Macbook for the office and none of the text in this font was showing up on this computer

I can install the font on it but I am worried about when we send it to clients they wont have it

I found this thread

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/TextMissingInPDF

but the fix here is to embed all the font and I am not crazy about making the pdf sized even larger.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought the whole idea of a pdf was that anyone could open it on any machine and get the same intended image
Karl Ottenstein
Font files are tiny - so embedding a font does not make any noticeable difference in file size.

Without embedding, you have to limit yourself to the relatively small set of fonts common to both Windows and Mac base OS installations.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I went through the instructions in the wiki I linked and set the font value to (0) to embed it.

Now the text is visible but it is gibberish. It made the files around 15% larger.
Karl Ottenstein
Since you are on 11 (according to your signature), Mo, you might still be using the Amyuni PDF printer to create your PDF output? If so, use the Amyuni setting for "embed fonts" and check "embed licensed fonts". The registry setting would not be needed in that case.

I haven't used AC on Windows since Amyuni days, so someone else will have to help with other ideas...

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am actually on v15 I forgot to update my profile
Anonymous
Not applicable
None pf the available solutions have fixed this

Well I think I am going to give up on this and use a simple font that is on every computer the same (Ariel ?)

Although it does in my opinion fell like th pdf format has gotten far offtrack from what it was supposed to be a document that would open up a print the same every time so that there were not these formatting errors
Karl Ottenstein
Windows users want to offer help here?

Sorry I can't help (being on Mac now), Mo ... but this isn't an issue for most users, who do use other fonts like you are. Have you phoned the GS US 800 number for tech support to see if they can help?

Cheers,
Karl
Erika Epstein
Booster
I've seen problems with the tekton font in other offices. Try getting an updated version of the tekton font.

Better yet, switch to a font that plays nicer, like the one you mentioned.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
Windows users want to offer help here?

Sorry I can't help (being on Mac now), Mo ... but this isn't an issue for most users, who do use other fonts like you are. Have you phoned the GS US 800 number for tech support to see if they can help?

Cheers,
Karl
Mo is on a Mac.
I seem to remember reading an old post about making sure fonts were installed correctly on a Mac - something about user fonts and system fonts being installed in separate locations.
The fonts need to be in the system folder not the user.
Sorry if I don't have the terminology correct but I am not a Mac user.

I found this post in a search which I think might be what I was thinking of.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=162449&highlight=font+mac+install#162449

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11