Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

text not showing up in pdf

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have been using an architectural font called TektonPro

We recently bought a new Macbook for the office and none of the text in this font was showing up on this computer

I can install the font on it but I am worried about when we send it to clients they wont have it

I found this thread

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/TextMissingInPDF

but the fix here is to embed all the font and I am not crazy about making the pdf sized even larger.
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
Barry wrote:
Mo is on a Mac.
I don't think so? The Wiki article that she said she followed is for a Windows registry hack... I thought she was only trying to Open the PDF on the new Macbook?

Installing fonts on machines in order to open PDF is not how PDF is intended... the fonts should be embedded in the PDF so that it appears the same on all machines... but maybe as Erika notes, it is an issue with the version of Tekton Pro. I, too, had some issues with a MrHand font years ago that wouldn't work on certain machines, even though embedded and a newer font version resolved that.

??

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
Barry wrote:
Mo is on a Mac.
I don't think so? The Wiki article that she said she followed is for a Windows registry hack... I thought she was only trying to Open the PDF on the new Macbook?
Mo wrote:
We recently bought a new Macbook for the office and none of the text in this font was showing up on this computer
Karl wrote:
... but maybe as Erika notes, it is an issue with the version of Tekton Pro. I, too, had some issues with a MrHand font years ago that wouldn't work on certain machines, even though embedded and a newer font version resolved that.
I too have had trouble with an old font not appearing in PDFs - or certain combinations of characters causing problems. Something to do with the way the character's spacing and the way they overlap (can't remember the exact technical term for it). I had the font resaved with a font editor and that solved the problem - I couldn't find a newer version of that particular font at the time.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not think a registry hack will solve the problem. It should be in the settings of the pdf writer.

Have you tried Adobe Acrobat (Writer)? There is a checkbox to embed the font into the document. In my experience so far it embeds every font perfectly as far as it is displayed correctly in the document.