BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

texture alignment

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im trying to make a 2D image render in 3D, so I can do a siteplan overlay onto a 3D render. What I've done so far is this: I took the image, overlayed it in 2D as a figure, so that I could get the right alignment, and dimensions, then I traced the outline of the figure with a slab, with a 1" thickness. Then I created a material with the image as the texture, and put in the appropriate dimensions. The problem Im running into is this: First off I cannot get it to stay in 1x1 sample mode, so its not lining up correctly in 3D... to make my problem easier to understand, since I am by no means a wordsmith

This is what it looks like in 2D with the figure overlayed, to make sure everything lines up ok:
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here are the material settings, with the smaple selection outlined, this is where I can't get it to change to 1x1 ( when I change it, hit ok, and then come back to the material settings it's back at 2x2)
Anonymous
Not applicable
this is what it looks like in 3D, with the misaligned texture...

if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it...

cheers,
dan
Djordje
Ace
Daniel wrote:
Im trying to make a 2D image render in 3D
If you have not gone the famous Lioness by DNC way already, fire up your ArchiFacade and make the object lying down. Works every time.

Oh, yes ... the picture object can lie flat, too. It is called Carpet in the standard International library
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan

Carpet sounds good, but if you want to continue mapping the texture the scale needs to be the size of your overall site (how far is 3600' x 4800' in real numbers?). The 2x2 preview is only to show the texture repeating, it does not mean it will be scaled this way, but yes, annoying that it defaults to 2x2 every time. If you were to check the orientation box I have highlighted the repeat would be with the same image, not mirrored.
Looks like you also need to align your texture (Edit - Align 3DTexture - Set Origin) so it starts in the correct place. You need to do this in 3D window.
Hope this helps.
material2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Dan
Looks like you also need to align your texture (Edit - Align 3DTexture - Set Origin) so it starts in the correct place. You need to do this in 3D window.
Hope this helps.
ahhhh... I wasn't aware of this command, it's precisely what I was looking for. And yes, the 2X2 default is annoying, and somewhat misleading (if you're as slow as I am anyway )

cheers,
dan
Anonymous
Not applicable
hmm... when I set the origin, it doesnt seem to actually do anything... Shouldn't it move the texture on the slab? Also, I tried using the carpet object, but it wont allow me to make it larger than 3280'-10 3/32" and the site is 3600'x4815'

any ideas?
Dan

Edit: just to make sure I'm using the align tool correctly: I go into 3D, select the slab, go to edit->align 3d texture->set origin, then i click on the point where I want the texture map to begin (im assuming this would be the lower left hand corner of the texture, so i click on the lower left hand corner of my slab)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Daniel wrote:
Edit: just to make sure I'm using the align tool correctly: I go into 3D, select the slab, go to edit->align 3d texture->set origin, then i click on the point where I want the texture map to begin (im assuming this would be the lower left hand corner of the texture, so i click on the lower left hand corner of my slab)
Sounds right... still not working?
Recently Link sent me a few of his tutorials in PDF, one of which was an ingenius way of mapping a texture to a site. If you ask him nicely I'm sure he'll send it to you too, it may be of some help to you, although I haven't used it myself yet.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
thats odd... If I align the texture, and then set directin, it does nothing... until I save the changes, close AC, and reopen it.. then the changes are shown

cheers,
dan
Djordje
Ace
Daniel wrote:
thats odd... If I align the texture, and then set directin, it does nothing... until I save the changes, close AC, and reopen it.. then the changes are shown
Did you also rebuild the 3D window?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!