Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

textures go mad.....:(

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

When I render my very large model in ArtLantis 4.0 som of the wall panel images I attach to tha walls show up differently on different walls even though the material is exactly the same....please help me out! See the attached image...It seems like ArtLantis is scaling some walls...
5 REPLIES 5
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
It looks like a material orientation problem. The orientation of the material is global, and that can create problems when buildings using the same material are facing in various directions.

I'd suggest applying a different, but matching, material to each building - i.e. on Building 1 - apply Wall Panel Material 1, and Roof Surface Material 1, Building 2 gets Wall Panel Material 2 and Roof Surface Material 2, etc

This way you can adjust the material on each building to line up correctly.
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well...I don't think it a matter of orientation since its a simple .jpg image showing a wooden panel. On some walls the size is correct and on others the size is magnified like ten times. As you can se from the new attachment, both the red and the grey siding goes nuts. The red panel to the right is how it should be with about 150 mm wide planks....

I can't reassign the walls one by one or make different materials for each house because I've got about 100 houses....It would take me a day=too expensive.

I also worry about the thin line marked on the image. It happens quite often...whazzup???

This image is a crop from a 3000 px wide image.

I use a laptop 1.8GHz, 32MB graphic card with OpenGL support, 512 RAM.

Regards,

Mats
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
How far from the origin is this house? I've found that the thin lines usually show up when the object being rendered is far away from the project origin. Try adjusting the house closer to the origin and re-render the scene. You *should* see the line disappear. I once had a project that measured a mile by one half mile - with the project origin placed in the corner, all the objects in the center and further out would render with very dramatic lines in them, similar to the one you have pointed out, but much more exaggerated than the thin line your getting - it was more like a gouge. I moved the origin into the center of the project, and it was corrected.

As far as the material sizing, how do you have it mapped? Cubical, Simple, or ?? That will play a role in how it looks along one wall and can make it appear magnified or distorted along another wall. To see if that's the problem, you can try the 'reapply material' in ArtLantis and re-render it to see if that corrects the problem. I realize that it would be very time consuming to fix it in this manner since you have so many buildings, but ArtLantis doesn't have the material mapping capability like 3DS Max does, where you can adjust the UVW mappings of objects, regardless of what material they have applied.

Hope this makes sense
Anonymous
Not applicable
MMontgomery wrote:
How far from the origin is this house? I've found that the thin lines usually show up when the object being rendered is far away from the project origin. Try adjusting the house closer to the origin and re-render the scene. You *should* see the line disappear. I once had a project that measured a mile by one half mile - with the project origin placed in the corner, all the objects in the center and further out would render with very dramatic lines in them, similar to the one you have pointed out, but much more exaggerated than the thin line your getting - it was more like a gouge. I moved the origin into the center of the project, and it was corrected.

As far as the material sizing, how do you have it mapped? Cubical, Simple, or ?? That will play a role in how it looks along one wall and can make it appear magnified or distorted along another wall. To see if that's the problem, you can try the 'reapply material' in ArtLantis and re-render it to see if that corrects the problem. I realize that it would be very time consuming to fix it in this manner since you have so many buildings, but ArtLantis doesn't have the material mapping capability like 3DS Max does, where you can adjust the UVW mappings of objects, regardless of what material they have applied.

Hope this makes sense
Thanx!

I will try moving the model closer to the origin. Just as you I've also had much thicker lines i nother renderings. The model is very far from the orgin because I've used world coordinates. I use a 3D-dwg file from an Autocad application for the ground and several other 2D dwg's for the houses, plants etc. which I xref to the geographically correct location.

I used simple mapping on this model. I've tried other methods earlier with the same result (though not getting any consistency in the strange mapping). I will install 3DSViz and see what I can do there. The thing with ArtLantis is that it's soooo fast to use....but if I don't get what I want it's useless...

Mats
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
If you just needed a quick fix for a few of your renderings, I'd suggest just using the 'reappy material' option in Artlantis. It's quick and should fix the more obvious material problems that are showing up.