Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

what will make this image sing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

I have created a 3D model of the interior of a project I'm working on for my client's review - the client has a very hard time understanding 2D plans/elevations.

I have used the Lightworks engine in Archicad (v12) but cannot seem to get it any more realistic than this. Pls see attached image file. This looks flat and crude. I haven't created a 3D model for many years now - but I remember from before that the glass can be clear, see-through. I'm pretty sure I used Artlantis before to make it real and give texture etc...I also remember that the light sources in Artlantis were difficult to get right...

I know there are many new 3D rendering tools out there. My questions are:

1. Is this (as attached) all I should expect from the imbedded Lightworks tool in Archicad? (please ignore the design)

2. Which of the 3D software tools now available will allow me to create "realistic" renderings from, and be the most compatible with Archicad?

Thank you for your time.

Moji

sample-image.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
Take look at Artlantis. You should also check out Dwight Atkinson's books on using both of these rendering options in conjunction with archicad. He's here on this forum.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Moji wrote:
1. Is this (as attached) all I should expect from the imbedded Lightworks tool in Archicad? (please ignore the design)
You can definitely improve on the LightWorks materials. Note in the materials settings dialog that these are independent of the internal engine settings. They start out the same but changes to one (aside from base color changes in the internal engine) are not automatically matched to the other.

What stands out most in your rendering is the mapping of the wood textures on the vertical elements. If you haven't already, you need to make an alternate version of that material with the texture map rotated 90°. If you do this in the internal engine you then need to switch to the LightWorks settings and select "Match with Internal Engine".

There is much more that can be accomplished with LightWorks materials but you'll have to figure that out for yourself (or get Dwight's book).

LightWorks in ArchiCAD can do some pretty respectable renderings (though it's easier in dedicated programs like Artlantis). The main limitation is the lack of radiosity. This is usually not so important for exterior renderings but can make a big difference for interiors. There are tricks to make fake radiosity, but if it's really important it's probably best to go outside to Artlantis, Cinema 4D, etc.
2. Which of the 3D software tools now available will allow me to create "realistic" renderings from, and be the most compatible with Archicad?
In my experience Artlantis and Cinema 4D are both really good (and very different) and easy to use with ArchiCAD. Some people seem to be very happy with Maxwell
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both.

It seems as though I'll have to spend more time than I can afford right now to make them presentable. I might just try the old pen and tracing paper trick over the now created model and then try to learn these skills in my down time.

I have not heard of Cinema 4D but will read up before I buy - so thanks for that.

Any thoughts on Piranesi? - images on the website seem more sketchy than realistic renderings.

Thanks again

Moji
Erika Epstein
Booster
In that case try the sketch render.
Under photo rendering where you choose Lightworks there is a rendering engine called sketch.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
good idea!
thanks again
moj
Dwight
Newcomer
Aside from getting Artlantis, the list of things to be immediately done in LightWorks include:

- make interior light tint yellow and exterior light tint blue.
- fix texture sizes - blurry woodgrain? Come on!
- make soft shadows from lights.
- add rough noise to wall materials.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
yup - i've obviously got much to learn...my b'day is coming up so maybe i'll buy me that book by that there guru of rendering...oh, 'tis you!

just a couple more questions please...

1. If i were using Artlantis would i need to get ALL the stuff right in Archicad first (like mapping the woodgrain as Mathew was saying or texture sizes and soft shadow lighting as you were) before I open the view in Artlantis and start playing around with all its textures etc? (if this is not so simple to answer pls just tell me to do research).

2. If you could purchase only one 3D rendering tool which would it be?

Thanks
Moji
Dwight
Newcomer
1: Things can be easily re-mapped in Artlantis, but it is always better to make a correct export.

2: If I could buy just one 3D program, it wouldn't be the one I would recommend for you, noobie man. You want Artlantis.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
noted - thank you...to all
moj