Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

white model effect with texture?

Jefferson
Participant
Probably a big ask here, but maybe worth a go anyway.

New to AC 19 all the way from 12 so behind the curve for sure, but covering some ground and I am very happy with the Cinerender white model effect for my renderings - A super clean and simple way to convey scale, look and feel of the model to clients. I have worked far enough into the settings to get renderings I am happy with. This is without taking what looks to be many, many hours for the in depth self-guided Cinerender education course.....which I would seriously like to avoid!

All great but - When applying Cadimage lap siding with a random shingle pattern I've made as part of a surface that replicates shingles in elevation the white effect removes textures and turns my shingle siding back into lap siding. Which means I can't render the shingle option to show clients in my preferred rendering style. I have spent lots of time already trying to tweak settings in an attempt to figure out a work-around with no successful outcome - time to ask for help!

Materials/surfaces in use already set to white.

Hoping someone might have some tips/pointers to run a work-around that would/will incorporate this single texture into my white model, or white model looking renderings. A rendering scheme/setup that could be converted to grayscale maybe........?

difference.png
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
One possible solution is to render twice - once in White Model and once in Sketch form (with 3D vectorial hatching turned on), then superimpose the sketch image over the white model image in Photoshop or similar, changing the transparency of the sketch image layer so you can see through it. This will give outlines to all your modeled elements, too, which I think can look quite good. A combination shaded and line image.
Jefferson
Participant
Thanks for the response Stewart. Already considered that concept and it is certainly an option for final renderings, but for schematic reviewing, I want or hope rather to work it straight out of the ArchiCAD alone.........keepin' it simple.

Sent off a request to Cadimage as well to see if they have any creative ideas.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fair enough, Geofferson 😉

I notice they have a shingle option on their roof covering (although it is a very regular flat tile, not the random size / shape you are after), but not for walls. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard for them to add to wall coverings too.

I think you'd need a gap between the shingles to get the full textured effect. It looks like they have taken the mortar joint out of the brick option in wall coverings, and now they render flat in white model renderings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Jefferson, I don't know if this is possible to make it with the cadimage covering, but did you try adding a bump map, or displacement to the material. with a black and white texture of the shingles?

I think you are looking for this effect I got here in the pic (stone wall).

PD: I just notice you are in AC19, this picture was render in AC20, using graphics overrides, is very easy with GO
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now, thinking about it, because cinerender is coming from maxon, and cinema 4d what does is that you use a material to override all materials, and also seeing that there is no option to control the white model effect, I think AC is changing all materials for a single white material, but keeping the materials transparency for glass, so if I'm right then in order to see the shingles you will need to have real geometry and not a texture.

I think can be a good wish to have options in the white model effect to preserve different channels of the material as in Cinema 4D, like in the pic.
Jefferson
Participant
Yes, that's what I'm coming to as well.........and it's hard to envision a scenario where I'm able to convert a "profile" into a surface of the Cadimage add-on.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Jefferson
Participant
So I've had some back and forth with Cadimage and looking a little harder at their roof cladding, [thank you S2art], it would do the job very close to what I was after.......see down and dirty screen shot below of white render.

If only they can or will make that cladding applicable to walls I'd be in business. Any other Cadimage users out there want to chime in and ask for it, it might help!
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are lots of old houses here in NZ with shingle cladding to gables, so I'd back you on a wish to Cadimage. Probably not going to happen fast enough to help you on this project though
Jefferson
Participant
Thanks S2art. I have already submitted my request so please do hit them up again.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory