Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

why is Archicad making the simple task harder. I'm ready to go back to version 19

Ron
Booster

I've been using Archicad Sine V4.1 in 1992. I've upgraded off and on over the years. I recently switched from V22 to V25 and I'm not happy. Had already seen little improvement from 19 when I went to 22. here is my list of complaints after a month of using V25. some are carry overs from 22

Complaints of v25

1. Detail marker has only a center hot point instead of also having them at the 12, 3,6 & 9 o’clock positions why get ride of something so usefull
  2. Why the separate equip button, un needed programing and waste of screen real estate, I got rid of it
  3. When opening another file I now have to click on options button to bring up option to open new while keeping other open why add more unneeded clicks do programers get paid by the click
  4. Why doesn’t Archicad include the add ons in the program so I don’t have to add them on every new version of Archicad.
  5. I don’t use the tab bar but it is now irritaing since if my mouse gets close a picture pops up obscuring what I need to do. So I got rid of the tab bar but now the action center pops up first thing which I don’t need thus requiring me to click another button to be where I should have been. Note this happens if you don’t have the tab bar up but now I have to have the tab bar up which is the start of my complaint of the tab bar. Time would be better spent making the stairs work
  6. The action center itself is useless it does nothing it claims library needs updating go to update and no it doesn’t same with other items in the action center
  7. At least Archicad has rollup garage doors now but they are still nothing like the real rollup doors I use
  8. Kitchen cabinets what a joke I’ll be using the old Archicad cabinets for now. The base cab with one door only ? seriously and lots of line features but still can’t turn off the back cab line
  9.  Stoves still look wrong in 2d will continue to use others as long as I can, Archicad used to have a good stove in 6.5 but they got rid of it and it can’t be updated like other objects
  10. Stairs still suck will continue to use the stairs from 19 if I’m ever not able to use them in future versions I will go back to making them out of slabs or mesh or morph tools. Believe me morph is faster less playing around I do the math draw and fill and extrude done
  11.  When going to open another Archicad file from an open file the tab takes up the length of 3 monitors and I have to slid it left and right. Its interanl to arhcicad since no other programs have that problem.
  12. Why doesn’t Archicad have a standard shower head not these eleborat crazy things that 90% of people don’t want
  13. Archicad use to have a nice tub/shower with enclosure and shower head and door. I’ve had to make my own but it doesn’t always move with next version and I have to remake.
  14. When a slab is shown on other stories you can no longer click on it to see what its elevation is
  15. Have not been able to quick slecter magnet tool on roofs since Archicad 22 why?
  16.  When placing a fill origin I used to be able to set the origin before laying out the fill, best method, then it became after you place the fill, now you place the fill and it puts the origin at the center and you have to find it and move it to where you want it. Every change arhicad makes makes it more difficult not easier. NOW I HAVE TO DRAW A  REFERENCE POINT TO WHERE I WANT TO MOVE THE ORIGIN TO SINCE I CAN NO LONGER SET THE ORIGIN FROM A KNOWN POINT
  17.  Bay window does not work at least ≤ 30º
  18.  Used to be when I clicked on a beam it would give me the top and bottom elevations now it only gives me the top and I now have to do the math in my head to determine the bottom of the beam. Why is archiad making things harder

BTW the stairs still don’t work worth a dam I still use the stairs from 19 or make my own.

I have finally been able to make one rail work but still can’t get it to do vertical pickets

I'm using mac pro16 

28 REPLIES 28
Barry Kelly

3. Work Environment setting.

BarryKelly_0-1654652044882.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly

6. It does not necessarily mean the library needs updating.

I means there are 'Warnings' in the Library Manager' that should be addressed.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly

BarryKelly_1-1654652694825.png

BarryKelly_2-1654652734103.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly

15. Only when you have a cover fill turned on.

No cover file - there is no surface for the magnet to select.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly

BarryKelly_3-1654653216905.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
David Collins
Advocate

Number 5:
To turn off dumb preview pop-up in tab bar:
Options/Work Environment/More Options/
Uncheck "Show Preview in Tab Bar."

It took me years to make peace with the tab bar. You need to get really disciplined with your view settings. They're useful later in the project when you know what you need, but kind of a pain to manage in the early stages. One thing that helped was activating the (still) experimental "Enable Linked Tabs." feature under More Options. This allows for global changes in all tab views, which is especially helpful in early design development.

Also, when you off the tabs you lose the Pop-up Navigator button which for some reason is tied into the tab bar. Having the navigator as a pop-up reduces clutter and frees up real estate.

David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)

Also if you do not want multiple elevations, multiple sections, multiple layouts, etc., you can turn off these options in your work environment.

BarryKelly_0-1654673920048.png

Then you will only ever have one TAB for each view type.

Cuts down the number of TABs, but means you can only have one elevation or section or layout open at a time.

Open another elevation and the current one will close.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

So that the beam moves up or down as beam reference axis changes from top to middle or bottom.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Stairs are not that hard. They are quite intuitive once you understand them. 

But most of the rest of these are pretty valid issues.

I ended up writing my own cabinet and appliances.

Even a stair tool until they released theirs.