Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

why is Archicad making the simple task harder. I'm ready to go back to version 19

Ron
Booster

I've been using Archicad Sine V4.1 in 1992. I've upgraded off and on over the years. I recently switched from V22 to V25 and I'm not happy. Had already seen little improvement from 19 when I went to 22. here is my list of complaints after a month of using V25. some are carry overs from 22

Complaints of v25

1. Detail marker has only a center hot point instead of also having them at the 12, 3,6 & 9 o’clock positions why get ride of something so usefull
  2. Why the separate equip button, un needed programing and waste of screen real estate, I got rid of it
  3. When opening another file I now have to click on options button to bring up option to open new while keeping other open why add more unneeded clicks do programers get paid by the click
  4. Why doesn’t Archicad include the add ons in the program so I don’t have to add them on every new version of Archicad.
  5. I don’t use the tab bar but it is now irritaing since if my mouse gets close a picture pops up obscuring what I need to do. So I got rid of the tab bar but now the action center pops up first thing which I don’t need thus requiring me to click another button to be where I should have been. Note this happens if you don’t have the tab bar up but now I have to have the tab bar up which is the start of my complaint of the tab bar. Time would be better spent making the stairs work
  6. The action center itself is useless it does nothing it claims library needs updating go to update and no it doesn’t same with other items in the action center
  7. At least Archicad has rollup garage doors now but they are still nothing like the real rollup doors I use
  8. Kitchen cabinets what a joke I’ll be using the old Archicad cabinets for now. The base cab with one door only ? seriously and lots of line features but still can’t turn off the back cab line
  9.  Stoves still look wrong in 2d will continue to use others as long as I can, Archicad used to have a good stove in 6.5 but they got rid of it and it can’t be updated like other objects
  10. Stairs still suck will continue to use the stairs from 19 if I’m ever not able to use them in future versions I will go back to making them out of slabs or mesh or morph tools. Believe me morph is faster less playing around I do the math draw and fill and extrude done
  11.  When going to open another Archicad file from an open file the tab takes up the length of 3 monitors and I have to slid it left and right. Its interanl to arhcicad since no other programs have that problem.
  12. Why doesn’t Archicad have a standard shower head not these eleborat crazy things that 90% of people don’t want
  13. Archicad use to have a nice tub/shower with enclosure and shower head and door. I’ve had to make my own but it doesn’t always move with next version and I have to remake.
  14. When a slab is shown on other stories you can no longer click on it to see what its elevation is
  15. Have not been able to quick slecter magnet tool on roofs since Archicad 22 why?
  16.  When placing a fill origin I used to be able to set the origin before laying out the fill, best method, then it became after you place the fill, now you place the fill and it puts the origin at the center and you have to find it and move it to where you want it. Every change arhicad makes makes it more difficult not easier. NOW I HAVE TO DRAW A  REFERENCE POINT TO WHERE I WANT TO MOVE THE ORIGIN TO SINCE I CAN NO LONGER SET THE ORIGIN FROM A KNOWN POINT
  17.  Bay window does not work at least ≤ 30º
  18.  Used to be when I clicked on a beam it would give me the top and bottom elevations now it only gives me the top and I now have to do the math in my head to determine the bottom of the beam. Why is archiad making things harder

BTW the stairs still don’t work worth a dam I still use the stairs from 19 or make my own.

I have finally been able to make one rail work but still can’t get it to do vertical pickets

I'm using mac pro16 

28 REPLIES 28

so now i have to have cover fill on, did not have to do that in the past which goes to what i said about Archicad making things more complicated

thanks the drag and drop does work however thats s many steps as the old way so why the change. i don't use the recent list myself since for other reasons

I understand the reference but when I click on a beam it used to give me top and btm elevations in 22 now it only gives you the reference point so i still have to do the math in my head

I've tried to get the stairs to work over multiple hours over the last three years. i got one straight run to work once and saved as a favorite but it wouldn't let me do anything else with it. for me they are not intuitive at all. I watched a couple of videos and  still no help. note it takes me minutes with the old stairs where it takes an hour minimum to get one straight stair to work. the new stairs won't let me set my own rise and run you have to pick form its list and even then one time it had the correct rise and run it wouldn't let me use it . go figure

No you don't.

If you know the height to the top of the beam, set the reference line to the top.

If you know the height to the underside of the beam, set the reference line to the bottom.

No thinking involved.

And you don't have to do the math in your head.

If you have a beam at say 2400 high and you want to lift it 600, highlight the height figure, type "600+" (without the quotes) and press enter.

It will do the math for you.

Anywhere you have a number, you can highlight it, type 000+ or 000- and then ENTER, and it will do the math for you (where 000 is the number you want to add or subtract).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

You don't need to set the rise and run.

You set the bottom height ant the top height, tread length and number of risers you need.

Link the top and bottom to your storeys (you can use offsets if you wish).

Archicad will make the stair, and if you ever adjust the storey height, the stair will adjust automatically.

There are rules in the stair settings for min/max riser height and going length and min/max 2R+G, plus other rules.

These should be set to you local standards so you can not have an illegal stair, but you can turn these rules off.

Having the rules active will just give you the choice of available legal riser numbers or heights (changing one will set the other).

There is obviously a lot more involved but a simple straight stair should just be 2 clicks, once you have set the rules and linked the top and bottom.

If you need more help on specific topics, it will be best to start a new post for each one.

Rather than having 18 or so conversations on different topics all in this one post as we have going now.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I get magnetic selection even with cover fill turned off.  Not sure why, but not complaining.

I've never had magnetic selection (which I always use via shift key) not work.

@Ron I can't think of why it doesn't work for you.  Does it work with a cover fill?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Multi-plane roof seem to have an automatic surface - even with cover fills turned off.

Single plane roofs do not.

I tend to work more with single plane roofs, so forgot this.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Karl Ottenstein

@Ron wrote:

16.  When placing a fill origin I used to be able to set the origin before laying out the fill, best method, then it became after you place the fill, now you place the fill and it puts the origin at the center and you have to find it and move it to where you want it. Every change arhicad makes makes it more difficult not easier. NOW I HAVE TO DRAW A  REFERENCE POINT TO WHERE I WANT TO MOVE THE ORIGIN TO SINCE I CAN NO LONGER SET THE ORIGIN FROM A KNOWN POINT

Apparently this was changed in version 23.  The PDF Reference Guide for 25 (page 2070 English version)  still describes the method for 22 and earlier.. with the cursor changing shape after drawing the fill outline to place the origin and direction vector.  I'm told that Graphisoft will be updating the manual.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.52.11 PM.jpg

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

for slabs and roofs it only works with cover fill on now