Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3d Dimensioning 1_01 Add-On

Anonymous
Not applicable
I purchased and downloaded the 3d dimensioning add-on from objectsonline. I am looking forward to utilizing it but there is no information in the file explaing how to load it. It appears to be a Library Part, .gsm. I placed the folder in the add-on folder but when I restart ArchiCAD it does not appear in my tool box. What I am doing wrong?

Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
baukunst,
It is not an add-on. It is only a library part, therefore
it will not show up or function as an add-on.
Put it in a loaded library folder.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
That worked, thank you. It does not seem to be a typical dimensioning tool though, like the other dimensioning choices in AC.
Dwight
Newcomer
Right. It's a Trick!

It is a way to make 3D elements in a 3D view that resemble dimensions, totally unlike what you would find in, say, SketchUp.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any ideas Dwight?

I have spent a few hours playing around with this "trick" and I find it very cumbersome. I am not getting snaps at the corners of my Solid Element Operations, but it's probably just me.

After watching you show us SketchUp at ACUWest and watching the tutorials, why can't it be that easy, and, once again, not included in AC.

Who wouldn't want that?
Dwight
Newcomer
Of course.

SketchUp turns design into a video game.

It is just a dumb object for representation purposes.

There will be many other things not found in ArchiCAD that you would want included, but cost extra because some guy figured it out and deserves something for his effort.

I could be sympathetic, but if you think there is a better course of action available with another software, take it, otherwise, we all simply must cope with this situation.

In the past there have been some add-ons that were quite substantial in cost that are now part of ArchiCAD as well as several useful objects made obsolete by ArchiCAD advances, so it is tricky, the add-on business.

And it isn't that Budapest isn't trying, but the universal challenge is to employ development resources toward the most important problems. A two day Hungarian holiday is coming up, yet the technical support team [for my book] is working through it, so go figure.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Dwight.

I'll stick with ArchiCAD. I love it and spend many hours in front of it everyday. I'll cope with it.

But, if there are ideas to make it easier to do something, dimension in 3d, with what we do have, I am very interested to know how to do it.

Thank you.
Dwight
Newcomer
Assuming that you seek to appply a dimension in an oblique view where edges stay in true size, it is possible to copy an image into the floor plan and use the dimension tool to apply your dimensions.

1: Make the view in the internal 3D engine, not Open GL. I like to bring in the edges and the surfaces. attached is the COPY dialog setting.

2: paste the copy into the floor plan - or any analytic view.

3: To be effective, you make your dimension line really fat.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Sure it is ugly, but if you need some key things identified, then there is Bob.

Here's the copy dialog - using the internal 3D engine not OpenGL.
Dwight Atkinson

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!