Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions rounding?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Is there any possibility (or maybe plug-in?) to set accuracy of dimensions (rounding)?
For example: original is 1881mm and I want 1880mm.

PLEH!! (to be visible in Revit's rear-view mirror)
16 REPLIES 16
There are no plug-ins or anything like that you need to do this. It is simply a matter of configuration.

Click on Options, Project preferences, Dimensions... you will find the setting you need there. Don't forget to set up your Working Units and Calculation Units and Rules too.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you sure Steve? I've always understood that you couldn't get it to round up or down whist keeping the same number of decimal places.

The dimension tool can only report what it measures from the model. If you want it to display 1880mm automatically, then the item to be measured has to be 1880mm exactly.

The workaround would be to set the dimension text to 'Custom', and type in whatever figure you need it to display, but you lose the automatic updating and would have to remember to re-edit the figure if the wall subsequently moved.

I'd be happy to be corrected if this isn't the case!
You are correct. I did not understand what was meant by rounding.
If you want all of the dimensions to the nearest even mm, 2mm, 5mm, what ever, draw using a snap grid set up for that interval.

However, there is one more way to tweak a dimension besides using the Custom Text. You may be able to get what you want from the Secondary Dimension tool. Click Document-Document Extras-Secondary Dimensions.

Notice that dimensions on top are rounded up and down to the nearest unit of measure you set up in Dimension Preferences. It is also a live associative dimension.

And you can display the actual dimension and the rounded dimension at the same time if you like. This can be turned on or off ( kind of) using the Secondary Dimension tool.

Shot at 2011-03-02

Shot at 2011-03-02

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Steve and Peter.
Of course I realize that accuracy during designing would help but in this case it's rather impossible...
"Custom-hand-job-text" doesn't sound funny in this case (conversion of existing office building from '60 to 125 apartments).
It would be nice to see such option in next version of Archicad. Cheers!
There might be some way to do what you want but I don't understand what your trying to do.

Are you wanting to round each dimension to some specific interval?
Nearest even mm or something? How is 1880mm a more useful dimension than 1881mm ?

Of course this is comming from someone who can't comprehend why people would work in mm anyway. Do you have some sort of tape measure that is marked off in mm even past a meter?

I can't imagine yelling down to Gordy ...I said 4,343.4mm.... LONG POINT you idiot! How many times are you going to keep cutting that off and still be too short!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
How is 1880mm a more useful dimension than 1881mm ?

Of course this is comming from someone who can't comprehend why people would work in mm anyway. Do you have some sort of tape measure that is marked off in mm even past a meter?
Well, yes. Apart from long surveyor's tapes (20m, 30m), metal tapes are marked in mm along their full length.

The question remains - why? Here in the UK, it still puzzles me that the building industry opted to use millimetres as the unit of measurement instead of centimetres. A brick measures 102.5mm wide, which gives us constant problems with rounding up brick sizes. And, apart from that 102mm brick (or is it 103mm?), there is a tendency to dimension work to the nearest 10mm - though nobody seems to really know why!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

New member here with my first post. Apologies for dredging up an old topic, but is millimetre dimension rounding still not available in AC15?

I have just upgraded from Vectorworks to ArchiCad and am surprised that my mm dimensions can be shown to a number of decimal places (crazy, unless you are designing jewellery), but cannot be rounded up to the nearest whole 5 or 10mm.

Here in Australia, use of mm is the standard for construction documentation, and it is standard practice to round up or down to the nearest 5 or 10mm, as it would be measured on site.

Providing a dimension of "2431mm", for example, would generally result in a reaction ranging from laughter to disdain from a builder.

I am not about to use cm or metres for dimensioning, as I would have to explain to each builder that I am not following convention - surely a recipe for disaster...

C'mon Graphisoft - surely if this can be done in Vectorworks, it can be done in ArchiCad!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can get fractions of millimeters with AC, but you cannot round up dimensions.

You can only dimension with centimeters which rounds up the extra millimeters.

You can achieve this in Autocad, where everything is relative, but not in AC!

While I understand why you ask for this, I think it has the potential of being used for concealing careless or incompetent work, so I prefer it the way it is now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
While I understand why you ask for this, I think it has the potential of being used for concealing careless or incompetent work, so I prefer it the way it is now.
I'm afraid I have to disagree, kliment - construction is not millimeter perfect, hence the 5mm tolerance level that is quite standard (here, in any case). To expect more precision from a builder is unrealistic. Certainly, if there is a specific material or object that has a specific dimension, this should be allowed to be presented as a "true" dimension if necessary, but more often than not the rounded dimension is more than adequate.

Such a feature might be used by some to conceal incompetent drafting as you suggest, but who cares? That's up to them if they want to be sloppy and risk calling on their PI insurer. I'm not talking about being careless, I am talking about presenting documentation with some inherent flexibility.

You may prefer the exact dimensions as drawn, but I NEED the rounded dimensions so I can document the way that is expected of the architectural profession here (and so I don't have to defend ArchiCad as the laughing stock of cad software for the inability to achieve such a simple task!).