BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Graphic Override Rules Combination Defaults Metric Template

mthd
Ace

Looks like I will need to create a “Graphic Override Rules Combination Defaults Metric Template” to avoid the tedious work of setting line types, weights and fills etc. for each element. Does anyone know of a metric template file that will help me set up all my particular defaults ? Or should I just set up my own for my particular region ? 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

I am a bit confused.

What does 'metric' have to do with line types, weights and fills, etc. ?

The GO rules and combinations you set up for your template need to take into account the line types, weights and fills, etc. that you have set up in your template.

They will be different to what I have set up in my template.

So, I would assume you need to create your own GO rules and combinations, rather than importing them from someone else who has a completely different set of attributes that won't match yours.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Barry Kelly

I am a bit confused.

What does 'metric' have to do with line types, weights and fills, etc. ?

The GO rules and combinations you set up for your template need to take into account the line types, weights and fills, etc. that you have set up in your template.

They will be different to what I have set up in my template.

So, I would assume you need to create your own GO rules and combinations, rather than importing them from someone else who has a completely different set of attributes that won't match yours.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi @Barry Kelly, I was thinking of maybe using a professional template from the US. Is that even possible with the AUS version and they of course being imperial in the US ? I was thinking I could try and use the one from Shoenome (Jared Banks) or maybe even the one from Eric Bobrow. They both know Archicad really well like you do.

I am not really sure of how to set up the GO’s for all my elements. Would I be wasting my time when I can just set each element type in the dialogue boxes ? It really doesn’t make much sense because they both seem to be as complicated as each other. I am not sure what other complications would arise if I applied GOR’s to my template. I personally don’t like this about AC with all this type of unnecessary clutter as I now see it.

I am certainly not going to ditch AC just because it is difficult to set up in this particular area. It has many other good things in it that outweigh this minor inconvenience.

There is no difference using metric or imperial in any file or template.

It is just all controlled in the Options > Preference settings.

Working units, dimensions, calculation units can all be set to what you want.

So, get the Shoenome template and change the settings.

Dimension styles are also saved with your Views in the View Map.

So you could have duplicate plan views, one dimensioned as metric and the other as imperial - all in the same file.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I am certainly not the type to back down from a challenge and I will take your advice and create my own in AC27. I will probably need to watch some more videos to see how others go about it.

Thank you for the information about templates not being affect by the units of measurement.

@mthd wrote:

Thank you for the information about templates not being affect by the units of measurement.

Well, they are affected by the units of measurement.

It is just you can set them (or change them) to what ever you want at any time.

That is why they are called 'Project Preferences'.

They can be set in any project.

Dimension preferences are project preferences as well, but they have an extra level where they can be saved as a dimension style.

So you can use different dimension styles in different views in the same project.

Working units are not project preferences.

These are an Archicad program setting (that can be changed of course), but no matter what project you open, you work in the current working units you have set for the program.

BarryKelly_0-1709088085220.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!