BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

[Resolved] No 3D Antialiasing for Apple Silicon build of AC 26?

Karl Ottenstein

I just switched to an M2 Max MacBook Pro after my iMac Pro died on Easter.

I have both Intel and Apple Silicon/ARM current builds of AC 26 USA installed.  The ARM version will not show antialiasing in 3D.  Here is an example of the awful jaggies that I see in the ARM 3D window:

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 10.45.44 AM.jpg

And here is a similar view in the 3D Intel (Rosetta2) window:

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 10.45.52 AM.jpg

I've enabled/disabled/enabled the antialiasing in 3D button in the Work Environment, but the ARM version just shows ugly jaggies no matter the setting.

I have not seen this issue raised (via search) ... so am curious if there is something I'm missing, or are other Apple Silicon users seeing this behavior as well?

Thanks!

Karl

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@Lee Hankins and @Eduardo Rolon  - thanks so much for the time/info in your posts.  I re-launched AC (with the 3D antialiasing selected in the WE from the last session yesterday) ... and all looked fine.

My problem - should anyone else encounter this - is that Rebuild and Regenerate does not rebuild the 3D window with respect to any change in the checkbox for "3D Antialiasing".  Only closing the 3D window and re-opening it causes the antialiasing setting change to take effect.  No need to close AC itself, only the 3D window after making the setting change.

I don't know if that is a limitation or a bug.  Just tested the Intel version - and same behavior.  I'll report to tech support just in case this is a bug in the Rebuild and Regenerate command rather than a limitation in applying hardware antialiasing to an existing 3D window.

Thanks again!

Karl

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

After learning Twinmotion out wasn't available for ARM version, I quickly uninstalled it, so I have little knowledge of other quirks with the version. Thanks for posting this as it further emphasizes that I need to stick with MacTel version.

Hope they get all the bugs worked out for ARM 27 version.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Eduardo Rolon

That is strange, I've had no issues with my M1.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

To clarify Eduardo - you seem perfectly smooth/anti-aliased diagonal lines/edges in the 3D window?   I wonder what setting is messed up on my end if so.   It can't be an old preference file thing, since it is a fresh install of the ARM version on a new MacBook Pro...

@Rex Maximilian wrote:

After learning Twinmotion out wasn't available for ARM version, I quickly uninstalled it, so I have little knowledge of other quirks with the version. Thanks for posting this as it further emphasizes that I need to stick with MacTel version.

Hope they get all the bugs worked out for ARM 27 version.

I'm not sure I understand, Rex.  Why wouldn't you use the ARM version of AC other than towards the end when you want to link to TwinMotion?  Both ARM and Intel read the same file.  On the other hand, the Intel version seems zippy enough even on Rosetta2.

Every project I do uses Twinmotion. I set it up early and do dozens of updates/import refreshes during the course of a project. It's a normal workflow throughout a project. No need to have both versions installed if one lacks a staple feature for me.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

I'm running the Apple Silicon Version on a M1 Max MacBook Pro and am not seeing the issue with antialiasing. It looks like it must be an M2 issue. I have attached screenshots of the 3D view (not a very exciting project) and also my Work Environment settings.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 11.47.27.pngScreenshot 2023-04-20 at 11.48.08.png

I tried turning off 3D antialiasing and it didn't seem to make any difference to the appearance in the 3D window.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Yes.

AC settings attached.

Try if changing energy settings to "High" forces MacOS to use more GPU.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 7.19.08 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 7.19.45 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 7.20.23 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 7.22.50 AM.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Solution
Karl Ottenstein

@Lee Hankins and @Eduardo Rolon  - thanks so much for the time/info in your posts.  I re-launched AC (with the 3D antialiasing selected in the WE from the last session yesterday) ... and all looked fine.

My problem - should anyone else encounter this - is that Rebuild and Regenerate does not rebuild the 3D window with respect to any change in the checkbox for "3D Antialiasing".  Only closing the 3D window and re-opening it causes the antialiasing setting change to take effect.  No need to close AC itself, only the 3D window after making the setting change.

I don't know if that is a limitation or a bug.  Just tested the Intel version - and same behavior.  I'll report to tech support just in case this is a bug in the Rebuild and Regenerate command rather than a limitation in applying hardware antialiasing to an existing 3D window.

Thanks again!

Karl

@Rex Maximilian wrote:

Every project I do uses Twinmotion. I set it up early and do dozens of updates/import refreshes during the course of a project. It's a normal workflow throughout a project. No need to have both versions installed if one lacks a staple feature for me.

Rex,

The Apple Silicon version works perfectly well with the March 2023 Datasmith plug-in and Twinmotion 2023.1.1 (Intel still) so there's no reason to use the Intel version of AC that I can see?  I just discovered this while researching this topic:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Collaboration-with-other/Archicad-model-does-not-appear-in-twinm...

and was pleasantly surprised to see that everything works.  The plug-in is double the size of the old one, so I'm guessing it is a universal executable now.

Karl

Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!