BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

cropping embedded drawings

Dave Brach
Advocate
I drag a pdf drawing from my local folder onto a layout (say a survey or a strutural layout from another office). The I break the link in drawing manager so that when other people in my office open the .pln it is there. Then I crop the drawing. The next time I go back to that layout in Navigator, if I want to change the crop size (say make it larger) it does not work. Only the original crop remains. I can get the whole drawing to show up ("fit frame to drawing") easily enough, but cannot do a second crop.
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
7 REPLIES 7
Lingwisyer
Guru
Rather than breaking the link, set it to manual update? Also, turn off "crop drawing to frame" for the inserted drawing as this removes anything outside the boundary resulting in the need for a file update if you enlarge the boundary, unless this feature changes functionality when you have broken a file link.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly

There is a new option now with cropping where it doesn't show the drawing if you expand the crop.
You will find there is a setting in the drawing options to 'Crop Drawing to Frame'.
The drawing frame will have a dotted perimeter.

Turn this off so it is back to "Manually Resize Frame' and the frame will have a dashed perimeter.

You can also right click on the frame and choose to 'Un-crop Drawing'.

Also as you stretch the frame wider, you should see in the middle an option to "Update to Frame'.
Click on that and it will reset the drawing to the frame.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Sorry I posted an image of the setting dialogue, but it appears to not be showing.
I seem to be having some trouble attaching images at the moment.
I will see if I can figure out what is happening.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Here is the image.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dave Brach
Advocate
for many years I would just set it to manual update as lingwisyer suggests, and no problems whatsoever. But this past weekend it just would not update, so that is when I tried the broken link to no avail. strangely, this morning the problem seems to have gone away, ie the "update to frame" is working as normal
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Hi Barry, do i have to do this for every layout? im finding this crop function and having to update each time we resize the frame incredibly annoying.  Is there a global toggle to turn off this?

I think you will find this is the default setting for all drawings by default.

So you will need to select all of the drawings and change the setting.

The good news is you can select the parent folder of the layouts in Navigator/Organiser and right mouse click to 'uncrop drawings'.

Or you can select multiple subsets at once.

BarryKelly_1-1643273069196.png

Don't forget to change the default settings for the Drawing tool so new drawings you add to a layout are not also set as cropped.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!