Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Barking Dog Bim about GDL...in case you've missed him!

Mats Knutsson
Enthusiast

Just fabulous tutorials about gdl scripting from Bruce Walker.

https://www.youtube.com/@BarkingDogBIM/videos

7 REPLIES 7
poco2013
Mentor

16 videos which takes a small project from beginning to end. It explains GDL better than any tutorial to date, including some of the past references - very detailed. Graphisoft could learn something here about creating learning material Excellent work -- Thanks

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Jim Allen
Expert

These are fantastic - easily the best GDL learning resource!

I was able to fix the issues in my latest GDL object, and script a custom UI thanks entirely to Bruce's videos.

The man is a legend 😀

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey

Yes - compare the accessibility of that to GS Learn platform which is impossible to overview with all the content arranged in a seemingly endless array of bundles, paths, courses, modules and sections which seem aimed at acquiring a certificate rather than knowledge. Hint for GS: if you in this day and age need to devise a curriculum for your architectural software - you are doing something wrong. For GS it seem to be a greater achievements yet we see quite many posts here from new users asking for good learning material...

Material like the this should naturally be put front and center, especially by a company that boasts about its user community. Unfortunately the community platform is tainted by the same self serving and reinforcing overly administrative thinking as the learn platform so it will soon be buried in a locked thread. Heck - not even their own recent workflow webinars is easily accessible being hidden behind two menu levels and two filters... The fact that it even isn't under "knowledge base" but rather under the marketing driven "building together" is quite telling of how fragmented things are allowed to become at GS just to be marketed.

It doesn't have to be so hard - just look at Rhino's "learn portal": https://www.rhino3d.com/learn/ where a link to the tutorial would fit right in.

DGSketcher
Legend

I think you can go to any software and find an easier official learning resource than the stuff provided by Graphisoft. But there again that likely that just reflects the complexity of the bloatware that is AC.

I do miss the old short tutorials that used to be in the help, they clearly explained workflows and were just long enough to explain what was happening. Perhaps nobody in marketing is actually capable of simply explaining the workflow these days.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
s_p_b
Booster

These videos are a great find, thank you!

GDL is hard to learn with so much relevant material being scattered in different pages and forum posts. I think it would help to link more examples and how-tos into the main GDL language reference document. I understand that many experienced developers will prefer an API reference to be rather terse, but all of the supporting information could be easily hidden via a switch on the page.  

I would also suggest that the most useful and common GS macros need some kind of documentation - or at minimum, appear in list of official macros with a short description of what they do, so that users writing their own objects aren't re-inventing the wheel all the time.

Davor P
Booster

Hands down the most annoying part for me in some of the GS instructional videos is the hired voice talent. I want a teacher, not a robot!

Definitely looking forward to more content from Bruce.

BIM4BIM - by BIM managers for BIM managers

I figure GS is using computer genereated voices. Agree...almost impossible to listen to. Real ppl for prez!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!