cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

CW panel coords relative to project/survey origin

Hi,

It seems bug...or awkward feature:

The CW panel cannot report it's position relative to project 0,0,0...(SYMB_POS_X, SYMB_POS_Y, SYMB_POS_Z always report 0,0,0 in local object coords no matter if in editor or placed)

It does not even report SYMB_POS_FROM_SURVEY_POINT which IMHO should work for any object, but does not.

In object editor it gives 0,0,0 which it should, but while placed it gives:

"Uninitialized dictionary key or invalid use of initialized dictionary key"

It seems this global is not passed to the object?

Maybe I do something wrong? Anyone?

Best Regards,

Piotr

6 REPLIES 6
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi,

The documentation lists which elements these globals are working with.

SYMB_POS_...: Object, Lamp, Door, Window, Wall End, Skylight

SYMB_POS_FROM_SURVEY_POINT: Object

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

It is not that explicitly said...object is everything in GDL :P, and a lot of things in manual referring to "object" works almost for every flavor of "object"...

Anyway: Is there any possibility to check the panel position relative to anything?

Piotr

kuvbur
Enthusiast

Is outputting the coordinate value to a property okay? I was able to output to a property (with the help of an addon)

Structural engineer, developer of free addon for sync GDL param and properties

I have to calculate something live in-object (panel) so properties do not work...

I am trying to avoid making a structure in one object to simplify things like editing and scheduling.

The documentation of global variables and ac_ parameters refers to objects as the library parts available with the "Object" tool.

Generally tools with multiple components (CW, stair, railing, opening) don't give global positions to GDL.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

If there were some position possible even to some whatever called a starting point of CW, that would make some new applications of CW possible  🙂