Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Feature request: parameters to be able to sum

gap
Booster

Many times we need to do complex calculations. Since we don't have the ability to use excel-like sheets, let's at least have the ability to do it with parameters.

For example, I would like to be able to sum the area of all zones of a certain type and multiply the sum by some number. With parameters I can do complex calculations as long as they only concern the object to which the parameter is assigned. It would be useful to be able to create some generic parameters that can sum or count other parameters of a set of objects.

18 REPLIES 18
Wlad222
Booster

@gap 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the need for more advanced calculation capabilities. I understand you're looking to perform complex calculations using parameters, especially for tasks like summing the area of zones and applying multipliers. This sounds like a powerful feature that could enhance data analysis and manipulation.Could you provide a more detailed example of what you're trying to achieve?

Specifically, how would you envision setting up these generic parameters to sum or count other parameters across a set of objects? It would be helpful to understand the types of objects you're working with and any specific scenarios where this functionality would be particularly beneficial.  Given that Graphisoft rarely delves into the specific processes and issues users face, having more detailed information about your needs would be incredibly helpful. The only thing they care about is money.

A concrete example: In my country, I can structure certain percentage of the plot, say for example 60%, which I can break down into 5 floors. On each archicad story I place a zone that measures the building area of ​​that particular floor. I would like to be able to automatically sum the zone areas of all floors and thus calculate the total area of ​​my building. So far, I can do it with schedules. I then need to automatically compare this sum to 60% of the plot area, which is not possible with the tools I have. This is a fairly simplified example. Actually, the calculations I need are more complicated. In the end, I need to display all these calculations in print sheets.

Franz Sdoutz
Enthusiast

Expressions that could sum values of arbitrary elements would be dreamy.

Matt Balaam
Advocate

Completely agree!

It would be great to use a system like property expressions, but instead of the values only being for the element the property is attached to, be able to generate a value using criteria like the interactive schedules use.

E.g. find all zones that are on the Site Coverage layer and add up their total Measured Area. Then, take that value and divide it by the Site Area to give me the site coverage percentage.

AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
Jman
Enthusiast

There is very simple automatic way to do that by using properties 

Property can calculate 60% of single element volume, area or dimensions and you just add this property to schedule. This way you making calculation on single elements and making sum in schedule.

I am not sure what exactly you need to calculate, so check default archicad template properties,  there is couple examples how to do that. One for calculating bricks in wall and another for cost of structure. You should be able to double them and modify to suit your purpose. Your custom property  60% of Zone area will be listed in schedule for all zones with your custom property and schedule can make total sum of them.

There are also other ways to do that:

Automatic with excel plugins for archicad

Manual export to excel 

GDL object importing data fields from schedule and doing that calculation

Bur property is the best of them all and fully automatic when setup correctly

I hope that's help

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 17.47.17.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 17.54.49.png

user since A3

In some simple cases this could be a solution, but the calculations I need are sometimes quite a bit more complex and can't be organized according to the logic you suggest. The point is that while ac28 is so advanced at the level of design and modeling, it has lagged far behind at the level of calculations, pre-measurements and budgets. The property and schedule system is very clunky, but it's all we have right now. I wish we had free spreadsheets. This will be a valuable addition to the software and would help technical offices significantly in increasing their productivity

You can make schedule with custom properties, export to excel, do your calculations in excel and import modified spreadsheet back to archicad 

check this https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/77258/ it is not perfect but it is working 

user since A3

Or save the spreadsheet as a PDF and place the PDF in Archicad with the drawing tool.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!