Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Feature request: parameters to be able to sum

gap
Booster

Many times we need to do complex calculations. Since we don't have the ability to use excel-like sheets, let's at least have the ability to do it with parameters.

For example, I would like to be able to sum the area of all zones of a certain type and multiply the sum by some number. With parameters I can do complex calculations as long as they only concern the object to which the parameter is assigned. It would be useful to be able to create some generic parameters that can sum or count other parameters of a set of objects.

18 REPLIES 18

I know I can do it that way. But, with each change I would have to redo the whole process and I am exposed to serious errors and omissions. I have bought this very expensive program (AC28) just so I don't have to do these unwieldy and bad practices.

Mathias Jonathan
Advocate

I made this python script that sum zone area that have the same ID or property value: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Archicad-Python-API/PYTHON-Sum-area-script/m-p/371704#M319

gavinNZz
Expert

An easy solution to this is for GS to build a 'Excel Link' add-on that allows users to extract live data from our BIM models directly to Excel and also allows live excel spreadsheets to be displayed in AC. I don't understand this push to update the spreadsheet system in AC when there is a piece of widely used software that is 1000x better at handling and displaying data.

Sure, keep what is there in AC for basic users but allow advanced users to access and manipulate data using software that is actually good at it!

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!

did you use Export and Import Property Values from Schedule it is working fine with excel for last 10 archicad versions if not more. Use property (live BIM data) fields for custom calculation in Excel and import them back after with calculated values. You can save also any schedule as excel file and complete calculation in excel. There are custom made excel archicad plugins but this build in archicad way works fine, unless you doing rocket building calculations required multi directional communication with data base, but this level of calculation I wouldn't expect in program for architects 

Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 15.30.25.png

user since A3
Khayci
Contributor

I think this is doable with schedules already. You can respond directly or WhatsApp+2347068095681 so I can guide you on it.

Thanks,

I understand the import/export process I just don't understand why it can't be a 'live link'. Excel could read a schedule (BIM data) in real time and I can then place an excel spreadsheet (of whatever data I want, in whatever format I want) in my workspace or on my layouts. Its not about achieving anything complex but more about being able to leverage the ability of excel to manage and display data throughout my plan sets. The AC spreadsheet is extremely limited in how you can display the data that is being extracted. An Excel two way live link would go a long way to filling a current hole in the formatting/display areas.

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
gap
Booster

I agree with @gavinNZz . We need a fully automated process. Multi-step solutions like import/export I find to be very complex, vulnerable and outside the logic of automations that governs all modern versions of AC

In Vectorworks, Schedules are not "locked" based on object parameters, so you can input manual formulas like excel

i.e.

* COLUMN A  | * COLUMN B | COLUMN C  |  COLUMN D | COLUMN D

* ITEM NAME    |  * AREA |  MULTIPLIER |   FORMULA |  NOTES

SUM VALUES

THE (*) VALUES ABOVE ARE FROM SCHEDULED OBJECT PROPERTIES, THE OTHER COLUMNS ARE "CUSTOMIZABLE" IN THE SCHEDULE ITSELF.

IF WE COULD ADD CUSTOM SCHEDULE COLUMNS THAT WE COULD MANUALLY ENTER VALUES

ADDING "NON OBJECT" VALUES AND FORMULAS IN THE SCHEDULE IS A BIG NEED.

THE SCHEDULE TABLE ALLOWS, ADD ROW, ADD COLUMN, ETC

THE FORMULAS ACCEPT MATH EQUATIONS AND LOGIC "IF THEN" STATEMENTS, ETC.

CAN EVEN MAKE A BLANK TABLE AND INSERT QUERIES IN RATHER THAN THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

The issue with using the import/export method (and all of the other workarounds mentioned in this post) is that it is manual. It relies entirely on the user ensuring they export, calculate and re-import the data every time the model changes (or at least before they publish the plans). In a large team with users of many different skill levels, pressing deadlines, working on multiple different projects etc. this becomes problematic. For reference, we have 2,500+ projects going through our system every year. Forgetting to update the data at a critical stage can have huge ramifications on a project and cost a lot of time and money, not to mention the negative customer experience it creates when things go wrong.

Suggesting we don't need a higher level of calculation in a 'program for architects' is also somewhat short-sighted. The Archicad user base covers a lot more than just Architects, and the level of calculation required by those users can be very high. We most certainly use multi-directional communication with databases to drive automation within Archicad and to link our CAD models with the rest of the business.

For me the frustrating part is that the data is all there, and a lot of it can be accessed partially in many different parts of the program, but it just can't all be accessed together in one place, calculated with flexible mathematical operations and presented nicely.

It feels like the treasure is within sight, but you just...can't...quite...reach it.

AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!