Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Updating Company Template from old version to a new version of Archicad

ryejuan
Advisor

Hi All,

I just want to have a clear direction in terms of updating our company template from version 27 to version 28. I'm not sure what is the best of practice out there.

I have started to create our company template since version 21 and from that point I have just upgraded the file as new Archicad versions.

Is this the best way of doing it or is there a better way? If yes I will be happy with any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks in advance! 😎

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

There have been a few post discussing this but they are buried deep within other posts and may be hard to find.

You can simply open your 27 template in 28, so that is where I would start.

Update as you would have done in the past - i.e. adjust the Work Environment and add new commands to your custom WE if you have one.

The biggest problem you will have is you can not simply swap to the new 28 Global library Packs, as there is no migration of objects.

Obviously you will want to use them, so yes, you will delete the 27 library and load the 28 library packs.

Now if you have any objects already placed in your template, you will have to find and select them and swap them for the equivalent 28 object.

Depending on your template, this may be easy or it may take you quite a while to go through all of your objects.

Keep an eye on your Library Manager to see if you still have and 'missing' 27 objects.

If you have a lot of favourites set up for your objects, these will also be looking for 27 objects and will need to be edited.

You can do it manually, but there is also a favourite converter that may help (I have not actually tried it yet - haven't got that far).

Mentioned in this post ...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/WISH-LIST-Video-to-Update-Global-L...

That entire thread may also be of some use.

Basically the upgrade is exactly as you would do in any other version, except for anything to do with the library.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Jman
Enthusiast

Hi Ryejuan

I am making my and for other offices templates since archicad V3 close to 33 years. Graphisoft is adding "major" (some times looks insignificant) changes from time to time and this is the moment to start template from scratch. You don't want to miss something important in your template. Every time i did ignore the change in my template I did pay the price later, until I learned to accept Graphisoft modifications. Users have hard time to change adopt new changes and accept new way of working. V3,4 of archicad you could load only one Library, so you had to make sure that all custom objects were included in it, next with changes in shortcuts until custom popes up I did have conversations with my stupid hands working with old shortcuts. BIM pen sets ware ignore and might be still by some users. 

If you started on A21 that I am suspecting you have somehow sophisticated template, I hope you didn't use purchased or free download custom templates made bu homegrown experts "Archicad Gurus". If you did make your own than A28 will be good moment to do new one from scratch because of Libraries revolution.

I am using INT template for our office even we are working in South Pacific "standards" USA, French, Australian, but If you need country specific settings than open country specific default Archicad 28 template and fallow Menu / Options / Element Attributes

Start from top to bottom adding your custom changes.

Word of advice:

1.  don't modifying IDs of existing defaults,

2. keep original Archicad pen sets, learn how to use them. Pen sets were earliest graphic over right and they still working.

3. Add as many Layers and Layer Combinations and organise them in folders.

You need to do this once and after successful testing you will never have to look in Option menu again 

Add your Classification if you have requirements in your system.

Update Property  

If you BIM your projects than there is a bit painful last process of linking Classifications and Properties to IFC.

Next step will be to add your custom library if you have any. Place all objects in your new template. Check if objects looks ok, they might have different pens solid fils black etc. Open bad objects and update all pens to Graphisoft standards. It is good time to delete crapy objects and replace them with good. Copy custom library with new name A28 and save all custom objects as version A28. Add to bimcloud server if you using one

Make your Favourites and organise them. 

In addition add A28 Keynotes if you see use for them and save to excel format. Make them as standards for project specific or client orientated

Make all schedules, legends, notes

Add typical details 

Setup your Project Info 

Add View Set Folders

Add Layout Sets

Add Publisher Sets

Make Master pages with titles

Drawing transmittals and Changes Record

Setup your tools with custom default settings

Organise Work environment. Add your teamwork info and link to bim server 

Test template if it works than  save as .tpl

Make new project in the template and record all problems and fix them in template, it usually takes 2-5 projects to have template done

Because you did it yourself you will be always able to find and fix problems and next year you might be fine with adopting 95% of this template in A29 if Graphisoft not add any major change.

I have just finished my template making from scratch, my old was a bit like made by Dr Frankenstein from bits and pieces of last 5 versions. This new library setup is not making me and my system happy but I am sure Graphisoft will not undo this unless there will be one language and universal standard for all countries 

Sorry I didn't add any specific details but that you should do on your own to know what you have change and add for future problem savings.

Good luck

Option Menu.png

user since A3
ryejuan
Advisor

Thanks all for the advice and tips. Appreciate it. Looks like AC28 template will be started from scratch, by the way using the tech preview mean I can start developing the template or do I need to wait for the official release?

Thanks again!

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

There should be no problem starting with the tech preview.

If you think you will be copying and pasting elements from older files, then be sure to keep all of the attributes the same.

Add more by all means but don't change any that you already have if you are happy with them.

I would still be inclined to just open your 27 template in 28 if you are happy with it.

Then swap the libraries, and hunt down and swap out any missing objects.

Also update any existing favourites that are set up for objects.

Much easier than starting from scratch.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!