Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Fills - alignment of pattern

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK - I have puzzled with this little irritation for a while - but just decided live with it , realizing that the help in ArchiCAD - is too cryptic.
See attached - What governs fill or material fill alignments?
I am still looking...... I actually work around the issue, avoiding fills sometimes - silly I spose.

Others I am sure have quickly resolved this.
I have not.

One more thing - the out of alignment fill - is a slab edge.

Fills not Phill.png
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
David wrote:
By default, ArchiCAD uses the Project Origin as the starting point for fills and textures.
Except wall textures for a reason only Graphisoft can explain!

Cheers,
Link.
Actually besides the walls' default behavior, slab and roof material can be set to align to the local origin. For slabs this is linked to the cover fill origin. For roofs it's the reference/slope origin.

Beams and columns do default to the project origin and have to be reset manually, but the only time I have found this to be an issue is for rectilinear block and brick columns. I don't think I've ever used modulated material patterns on beams.

Library parts also default to the project origin but this can be controlled in detail by the script so this is a bit of a special case.

Overall I think GS has this pretty much right. There are probably improvements that could be made but it work well for my needs as it stands.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Matthew wrote:
For roofs it's the reference/slope origin.
Matthew:

I am not seeing this in AC 14, could you post an example?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I’m struggling with a sim. issue: [see attached] we’ve modeled a multiple story bldg using Composite walls for the upper stories (since those are plain, typical walls) but Complex Profiles for the first story (since these walls have a special stone work). They both share a common vertical siding pattern that is not lining up in elevation.

When stacking Composite walls, you can select multiple walls and Reset Texture in the Wall Settings and get most of them to line up. However I cannot find anything on how Archicad sets the origin point for surfaces or vector hatch/fills on a Complex Profile in 2D section/elevation views. Is there no way to control how ArchiCAD propagates a surface or fill along the length of a Complex Profile??

Any thoughts about how we can get these to line up?

I’m still not even sure if what I’m seeing in this elevation is a “Vectoral Fill”, “Fill Type”, “Building Material” or “Surface?”...
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Try selecting one of the walls, then Edit/Reference line and plane/invert wall direction. That always works for me, but I don't typically use complex profile walls.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Billy Earnest
Participant
Stephen,
I wish Graphisoft would make an easy solution to this...I have the same issue, especially with a "Board & Batten" siding pattern, in my complex profile walls. It's the vectoral fill on the elevations where I need more control...the 3D pattern is good, but I wish we had a similar option for "Align 2D texture"...click....done. It's pathetic that it's not in there. So many people jump on these topics & post useless info, thinking they actually did/helped something. That's how the world is now. Usually, when I go looking for a solution here, I have to dig deep into the more advanced & seasoned users' stuff....through layers of surface-level foolishness. Some times I wonder if some of these folks actually work on REAL projects, with REAL drawings, in the REAL world. Anyway, what do I know? I've only been doing this kind of work for over 20 years. It makes me crazy when I can't align a stupid hatch/fill pattern where I want it to go, when it's embedded in a 3D object that I use over & over & over. =be=
iMac & MacBook Pro