BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

trimming walls to stairs

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have a wall that needs to be trimmed to a set of stairs because it is pertruding through the bottom of the stairs. i also want to draw a wall along the edge of the stairs. can someone out there help me?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
jcude wrote:
i have a wall that needs to be trimmed to a set of stairs because it is pertruding through the bottom of the stairs. i also want to draw a wall along the edge of the stairs. can someone out there help me?
Have you tried or considered using solid element operations to trim the top of the wall to the stair?
Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm not familiar with that. i am still in school at night while i am working so i guess i haven't learned that one yet. fill me in! what is the scoop?
Anonymous
Not applicable
jcude wrote:
i'm not familiar with that. i am still in school at night while i am working so i guess i haven't learned that one yet. fill me in! what is the scoop?
It pretty staright forward...go to to the edit pull down menu to solid element oprations... select your wall as the target and select the stair as operator ...choose an operation method like subtract w/ upwards extrusion and hit execute.

You get the hang of it when you try it out.

dan k
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanx dan. that worked great. this is much easier than architectural desktop. i switched to ac from that and it took like 10 steps to trim the wall to the stairs. it just keeps on impressing me.
Stress Co_
Advisor
jcude wrote:
Jeremy:
Try using SEO when trimming walls to roofs (subtract with upwards extrusion). If and when your raise/lower the roof.... the trimed wall will move/adjust with it (Unlike "trim to roof" in the wall settings).

Also, if you have two objects intersecting ... but a line doesn't appear at the intersection in elevation/section view..... SEO the two (subtract).

Marc
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
this process seems to be another form of trim to roof with more benefits. i'll continue to use this function. seo is great.
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi there. i just tried using the seo to trim walls to the underside of stairs. it gave me the message 'there are no valid target or operator elements stored". i picked the walls and then said get target elements. then selected the stairs and then get operator element. and then hit execute. what's up? what did i do wrong? thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Marta

Sounds like you were heading in the right direction, but check that you deselect your targets before selecting your operators, otherwise they will all be in the same group.
Anonymous
Not applicable
aha! that worked! thanks!
Learn and get certified!