Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get the Modular Joinery object!

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=135321#135321
a little more.

Ralph Wessel has created a hugely flexible window/door/panel/storefront/curtain wall GDL object, called Modular Joinery. It was commissioned by Graphisoft U K and is distributed to their Archicad subscribers, and for similar purpose to other distributors.

I've been using it for a week or so now, and I find it extraordinarily good, and something I've been wishing to have for a long time. Not only is the object itself working very well, it also has a new, simple yet very creative and useful UI (user interface), and also comes with a 22-page user manual!

If you have an Archicad subscription, immediately ask your distributor to supply you with this GDL object, and if he/she doesn't have it, to get it from Graphisoft U.K.!

I'd also like to send my sincere thanks to Graphisoft U K who've had the wit to engage one of the most distinguished GDL programmers for this task, and to share it with the user community this way. And of course, to Ralph!

modularjoinery_688.jpg
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
145 REPLIES 145
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ralph wrote:
If there are many requests for this feature, there will be impetus for the Modular Joinery to be extended.
Ralph, I've had tremendous benefit from this object. It's flexible enough that I've been able to use it as the sole window object in several projects, as well as doors sometimes.

I'm often finding that the MJO configuration model (one base object that is modified and extended for different instances) works better for me than the standard library's (having to choose one of several various complex objects for each instance, and then customizing each to similar appearance). Because of your GUI, I find the MJO very useful also when I have no intention of prescribing Velfac windows.

You modified it for Archicad 14 last year, which made it even better.

Now as Archicad 15 has been announced, I have 2 questions:

1) - Would it be possible to include a place as Skylight option in the object (like it is now usable with both the Window and Door tools), so as to make it placeable using the Skylight tool in Shells (and complex Roofs)?
(this would of course overcome the current limitation that AC15 doesn't allow Windows or Doors to be used with Shells).

2) - Would it be possible to include an option for slanted (internal) reveals in the object? We find this option increasingly useful here, because of the increased demand for energy-efficient houses and their thick walls. For Shells and Roofs who tend to be even thicker, it would almost be a requirement. But alas, until now we've had to use the standard library windows when slanted reveals are needed.

Please note that I'm just asking if this is possible. I understand that the question if you are going to implement these features is a completely different one, perhaps requiring financial support from Graphisoft or some manufacturers or distributors. Of course I hope that they will realize the value of this proposition, but until then, I'd just like to know if I can have hope!

And for those not familiar with it, checkout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSwm9n2k3A
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the MJO from roughly 2yrs ago.
What are the improvements for 14 and does anyone know how to get the current version?
Thomas Holm
Booster
lec1212 wrote:
I have the MJO from roughly 2yrs ago.
What are the improvements for 14 and does anyone know how to get the current version?
AFAIK some minor bugs got fixed in the v14 version, as well as supporting the display modes new in v14.

I think the MJO object still is limited to those on subscription - if you are, you should simply DEMAND it from your distributor, regardless of where you are in the world. As you can find out by reading previous posts in this thread, it was developed by Ralph Wessel and funded (at least originally - I think he's been supporting it on his own account) by Graphisoft UK.

I have no idea why Graphisoft don't embrace it and distribute it worldwide by default. It's good enough, and for some of us, it solves problems otherwise difficult. It also actually demonstrates some of the power of GDL for those in the know.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thomas wrote:
Ralph, I've had tremendous benefit from this object. It's flexible enough that I've been able to use it as the sole window object in several projects, as well as doors sometimes.
Now as Archicad 15 has been announced, I have 2 questions:
1) - Would it be possible to include a place as Skylight option in the object
2) - Would it be possible to include an option for slanted (internal) reveals in the object?
Please note that I'm just asking if this is possible.
I'm pleased to hear the object has worked out well for you - I know of many other firms making very extensive use of it too. In reply to your questions:
  • 1) I don't know at this stage (I haven't researched the requirements yet) but I like the idea. I'll get back to you when I know if this is feasible.

2) Yes. The good news is that I'm working on several frequently requested enhancements now. I won't say any more at this stage, but there should be more news next month.
The object was funded entirely by GS UK for subscribers who couldn't model their windows using the existing library.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Barry Kelly
And could it please have sliding panels for the windows?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ralph wrote:
....The object was funded entirely by GS UK for subscribers who couldn't model their windows using the existing library.
That's been the reason for my campaign for this to be included in Archicad's standard distributions all along.
This object makes things possible that are not achievable with the current standard libraries. Or at least very difficult.
JaredBanks
Mentor
Any news on the modular joinery object for ArchiCAD 15? I mean for those in the UK of course.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
JaredBanks wrote:
Any news on the modular joinery object for ArchiCAD 15? I mean for those in the UK of course.
You can continue to use the AC14 version - it will seamlessly migrate to any updates we release, i.e. we won't change the name and new versions won't break existing projects. We showed an update at the Summer School, so a new release is on the way.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
JaredBanks
Mentor
Awesome. Thanks for the update!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Any idea why my Modular Joinery-14 library part is no working in AC16. It used to work in AC15, even though its a V14 library part.
I get an error saying: "Negative or zero index value at line 671 in the master script of file modular window.gsm"

Problem is that I've got projects using it. Now we cannot edit them in AC16 and the error messages are popping up.

Is there an upgrade available?
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM