BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Profiler is soooo bad!!! Revolving just doesnt work

I never use Profiler myself, if i want anything lathing, i can do it in GDL faster than I can do it with Profiler. But I have to use the ugly beast today as i am writing a chapter on Object making without GDL for the new OMWAC, and I have to mention it.

Isnt it terrible. Revolving is near impossible.

Its so uncertain as to how to work it, for example, if you are trained to revolve things round the X axis as we are, its uncomfortable to have to do it round the Y axis.

Worse, and worse still, theres no way to make a completely round object, it doesnt accept 360 objects, and even worse, it doesnt provide a parameter for setting start and endangle (these are had coded in the master script. Its unclear what the clicking points are doing when you want to define the centre of rotation - a hole is formed whcih seems to be random.
it doesnt have graphical hotspots, which would solve this. you could make an easy revolved object to about 180 and use GHs to adjust it to its final position. Beyong 359 it would snap to 360. I can easily rewrite this code into the script but then it misses the point of Objectmaking without GDL.

As the book is to be published by GS, do i write in that chapter, dont bother, precious Profiler is unusable?? i want to make an object that revolves 360. is that so unreasonable??
10 REPLIES 10
Erika Epstein
Booster
David,
sounds like you should have sat in on Duane's AC modeling class
Yes, one can creat a column or similar object with profiler.
Yes, documentation is near non-existant. See accompanying screenshots of process in attached word document.

1. In a plan window, draw the profile of your column. the global origin. The profile can be composed of arcs and lines, grouped. For example if you want to revolve the column profile from the base which has a diameter of 1 meter, place the bottom of the profile 0.5 meters from the global 0,0 in the x direction. It can be places to the right (+) or left (-).
2. Select the profile
3. Go to Tools, Profiler.
In the pop-up window have the center (centre) anchor point selected. Do NOT have the "click on plan to enter" selected.
4. Set other attricubutes/parameters as you wish. I put it in a folder of an alread loaded library so I don't have to reload the library to see it.
5. Click OK and in the plan window starting at the global 0,0 when your pencil turns black click and hold down the mouse key and draw straight to (left or right) to the base of your column profile. I usually hold the shift key down during the last step to make sure the bottom of my column is level. When you get the black pencil over the bottom node of your column profile base, double click and voila, a plan view of the column will appear centered on 0,0.
6. Select the object and view in 3D window.

Hope this helps,
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hmmm.,
Doesn't look like the attachment came through. If someone could help me with that please? I thought I had attached a zipped word file containing all the screenshots.
thanks,
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

I have tried it 10-12 times in the UK version (which should be the same as yours) with 8.1. As you get the sweep round close to 360, it disappears back to something very small and makes a slice 2 or 3 degrees wide - even with the shift key selected. It will not make a perfect round shape. also, it cannot live unless there is a hole in the centre (I know why, but it could use masking to finish the hole off).
I wasnt making it at the main origin, but although that is advisable, it doesnt seem to be the problem. Sweep angle is the problem at this moment.

If you save it at a sweep of, say 180, it takes less than 30 secs to open the GDL object, change the master script to "angle=360" and the job is done. its a workaround, but why doesnt the object have:
1. a user parameter called angle.
2. graphical hotspots allowing the user to sweep it round.
3. simple idiotproofing to keep the angle value between 1 and 360 degrees

thanks VERY much for your interest and help in this.

Hope to meet up with you in September...
I very much enjoyed your essay about ACUwest. Hope you pasted it into ArchiCAD Talk.

>>>david
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear David,

I should say it doesn't work (as developer of ArchiForma!) but I just tried and it works (at least the Italian version which I suppose doesn't have anything of different from the other ones... only the language!).
When the cursor is over the first point (I mean after a full circle) the rubberline disappears and you have the feeling the development angle is zero but it is only a common trouble or refreshing of the rubberline: the angle is 360°.
Don't care about the origin, it works also if you are not on it.
BTW, in my version also the "center hole" trouble doesn't appear.

friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hey David,

I just realized you are still a Junior Member... like me!
Funny... now I can sleep happier!

your Junior friend
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Erika Epstein
Booster
"I wasnt making it at the main origin, but although that is advisable, it doesnt seem to be the problem. Sweep angle is the problem at this moment.

If you save it at a sweep of, say 180, it takes less than 30 secs to open the GDL object, change the master script to "angle=360" and the job is done. its a workaround, but why doesnt the object have:
1. a user parameter called angle.
2. graphical hotspots allowing the user to sweep it round.
3. simple idiotproofing to keep the angle value between 1 and 360 degrees"

David,
I agree that that it is simpler to use GDL, but you asked how to get profiler to work. I don't know why you are "sweeping" the circle. One can, but I find it is faster to create and place such anobject with the anchor point. Then, with the cursor, I am only drawing the radius.
To get less than 360 ° I check the "click on plan to enter" In both instances I am using the upper 2nd from the left button to difine a circular rather than a linear one.
I put it on the global origin because someone with the initials DNC taught me to use correct scripting technique. Not being a whiz at GDL, I will sometimes creat an object with profiler and later when I have time drag it into the scripting window to edit. If it is at 0,0 as you taught me, ther is less to clean(sweep) up in the script

So, why are you sweeping?
Looking forward to seeing you in September.
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Djordje
Ace
Erika wrote:
Hmmm.,
Doesn't look like the attachment came through. If someone could help me with that please? I thought I had attached a zipped word file containing all the screenshots.
What is the size?

You will probably have to cut it into smaller portions; I would suggest PDF, too. See Link's tips in Tips&Tricks section for example.

Yes, Profiler needs some explanation, but it definitely can be done. The problem is, it works quite differently from previous versions, even 8.x versions are not consistent.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Erika Epstein
Booster
profiler jpg illustrations 2 of 3
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System