Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Project2 for custom door plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there a trick to using PROJECT2 for custom doors? the projection code only shows front or side views of the door in the plan preview.
I want to create a projected and symbolic option for my custom door, but project2 just isn't working.
10 REPLIES 10
David Maudlin
Rockstar
patmay81:

I get a correct result from:
PROJECT2 5, 90, 2
The "5" projection_code is not mentioned in the GDL Reference Guide (I guessed).

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
DGSketcher
Legend
David: "5" is not listed in the GDL manual and therefore I assume a risky option. Normal top view would be PROJECT2 3,270,2 is there some trick in using "5" ?

Obviously it is always better if the plan view is properly scripted to show the expected image e.g. door swing etc.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had tried PROJECT2 5, 0, 2... but not 90, that was my problem. I was not thinking of it as actually rotating the 3d view to an alternate plane, just around its own plane. 5, 90, 2 works great. 3, 270, 2 also works, not sure of the advantage of one over the other.

I have two more questions:
1) any ideas on why my wall hole does not show up in 3d? I have scripted a wall hole as:
WALLHOLE 4, 2,
0, 0, 15,
A, 0, 15,
0, B, 15,
A, B, 15
but don't get an opening. See attached image.

2) why would the door offset from the wall hole hotspots in both 2d & 3d? I have tried including an ADDx line to both scripts and it has no affect. Seems like starting from 0, it should align w/ the door script, or do wall holes measure from centerline?

See attachments for more clarification

(I will get a signature line added to my profile; I don't often use this forum anymore, but may start up again, so I'll get up to speed)

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Image:
Door 3d.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
patmay81 wrote:
1) any ideas on why my wall hole does not show up in 3d? I have scripted a wall hole as:
WALLHOLE 4, 2,
0, 0, 15,
A, 0, 15,
0, B, 15,
A, B, 15
but don't get an opening. See attached image.
In the local coordinate system of the Door the 0, 0 coordinate is the middle bottom point of the Door. The Door extends both to left and right equally.
So the Wallhole definition show be like this:
WALLHOLE	5, 2,
			-A/2, 0, 15,
			A/2, 0, 15,
			A/2, B, 15,
			-A/2, B, 15,
			-A/2, 0, 15
It may be a better idea to close the polygon, thus the 5 nodes instead of the 4 (I am not totally sure about this, I just looked at the examples in the GDL guide.)
But an even important point is that when the WALLHOLE is rectangular, you do not have to specifically script it because the Door will automatically cut a rectangular hole for itself from the Wall by default. You need to script a Wallhole only if it is not rectangular.

This page contains some useful info about the creation of Doors/Windows:

http://gdl.graphisoft.com/gdl-docs/gdl-guide/chapter-12-miscellaneous/doors-and-windows/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo! I was referencing the link from the GDL center, but did not understand the door/window nature of originating from the center of the opening. So I think I need to rewrite the script to base off A/-A instead of 0,0/A.
I thought if I had a manual WALLHOLE I could offset the wall hole to match my script, but that doesn't translate well to the plan projection (back to the original question of PROJECT2{2}); unless I have a WALLHOLE2 also.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I think I found the easy solution. Just a simple:
ADDx -A/2 !at the top of the 3d script window

I had to modify my transformation stacks a bit, but everything is in the right spot now, plan and elevation!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Gergely Feher
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
patmay81 wrote:
I was referencing the link from the GDL center, but did not understand the door/window nature of originating from the center of the opening.
Here is a short article about the basics of doors and windows: http://gdl.graphisoft.com/gdl-basics/simple-doors-and-windows/

I hope it helps.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
DGSketcher wrote:
David: "5" is not listed in the GDL manual and therefore I assume a risky option. Normal top view would be PROJECT2 3,270,2 is there some trick in using "5" ?
Doors and windows are created at a 90˚ rotation to their placement, so the "3" projection_code shows the face, not the top, of the door.

David
GDL_Door_Window_Orientation.png
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14