cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

!Restored: Sketchup to Archicad - library parts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I was told that it is easy to bring in Sketchup library objects into ArchiCAd. Just requires one step!!!

I haven't succeeded so far - Anyone have any ideas?

R
15 REPLIES 15
Thomas Holm
Booster
Select the component in Sketchup Pro, Export as 3D model in 3DS format.
In Archicad, download and install the 3DS In Add-on (Help>Archicad11 Goodies).
Open the 3DS file and Save as a Library Object. The procedure is described in the Help files. If you want more info, do a search in this forum.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
If you are fortunate enough to be on a platform that supports the Google Earth Connectivity, then you can use File > File Special > Merge to convert a SketchUp file into a GDL object in one step, avoiding the 3DS and thus the need to own the pro version of SU.

Unfortunately... neither 3DS nor the connectivity approach convert textures properly all the time. The Merge approach gives a better 2D symbol.

For example, I saved an SU file that contained only the 'sawhorse barrier' component. I also exported it as 3DS. The attached image shows the plan symbol for each and a 3D axo. Note that the SU axo shows as darker on this side, but the stripe texture is aligned correctly. The 3DS import stripe is shifted.

The back sides are worse. The 3DS texture is much more shifted and the SketchUp/Merge has no texture (black).

But, the Merged plan symbol is better.

Interesting.

Karl
sketchup-import.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Here are the files for the objects shown, as well as the SU 6 file, in case someone else wants to investigate the problem with the texture mapping. 😉

I should add that I personally find using File Special > Merge an inconsistent and unusual way of creating a GDL object. Normally, a merge brings in elements. Typically, objects are created with File > Libraries and Objects > Open Object, which is where I would expect to find *.skp An exception is the 3DS import (a Goodie that shows up in the Design > Design Extras menu of all places), but we've been after GS for years to put that there with no success.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
This screenshot shows the textures shown on the backside of the sawhorse. Really shifted texture for the 3DS import. Black for the Merged skp file.

Karl
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks Karl! That's really much more than I'd ever manage!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
If you are fortunate enough to be on a platform that supports the Google Earth Connectivity, then you can use File > File Special > Merge to convert a SketchUp file into a GDL object in one step, avoiding the 3DS and thus the need to own the pro version of SU.

Unfortunately... neither 3DS nor the connectivity approach convert textures properly all the time. The Merge approach gives a better 2D symbol.

For example, I saved an SU file that contained only the 'sawhorse barrier' component. I also exported it as 3DS. The attached image shows the plan symbol for each and a 3D axo. Note that the SU axo shows as darker on this side, but the stripe texture is aligned correctly. The 3DS import stripe is shifted.

The back sides are worse. The 3DS texture is much more shifted and the SketchUp/Merge has no texture (black).

But, the Merged plan symbol is better.

Interesting.

Karl
Thats very intresting, i was allways hate archicad becose of lines (triangulate ones) And this is something that i didnt know !

Resopect man
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
Thats very intresting, i was allways hate archicad becose of lines (triangulate ones) And this is something that i didnt know !

Resopect man
I still get the diagonal lines (as shown in Karl's 3DS plan view above) when I use merge - is it just me or the models I've tried importing or does this happen for everyone?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:

Resopect man
I still get the diagonal lines (as shown in Karl's 3DS plan view above) when I use merge - is it just me or the models I've tried importing or does this happen for everyone?
I will try it right away and put answer here !

Yes, me too, im getting diagonal lies too?

Carl, how did u do that
Can u try with other object, create anything in Sk3tchup and try againg, PLZ
Karl Ottenstein
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
Carl, how did u do that
Can u try with other object, create anything in Sk3tchup and try againg, PLZ
Hmm. My earlier post was wrong / backwards as far as the 2D symbol. Sorry! 😞

I tried a park bench and a bed using SU components - and each had triangularization lines in the 2D symbol after the merge 😞

The bench had no triangularization when imported as 3DS. Just repeated with the sawhorse, and it is indeed the merge that shows the triangularization lines.

Karl