Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

counter depth full height wine cooler?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking around in the AC17 library there are some nice parts, but somehow it's always a challenge to get things right.
My clients would like a counter depth refrigerator with a freezer drawer below
and either a single or double door into the refrigerator section. Refrigerator 17 works for this but the handel on the freezer drawer is stuck in the swinging door position. There is a dialog selection for handel on or off and 2 more selections below that that seem to pertain to position of the handel but those are not available for use.

Main question! does anyone know if there is a parametric wine cooler that I can manipulate perameters on so that it looks like it matches the refrigerator?
i.e. full height with full lite french glass swinging door that you can see ther bottles through? Seems to me we used to have a wine cooler somewhere.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Formworks Design,

thanks for trying to help, but the link takes me to (see below dashed line).
I think there may be a wine bottle in the library somewhere, I'm going to
see if I can find it and morph it and rotate it horizontal and then matrix it out and build a refrigerator looking thing and call the whole fruitloop a nightmare avoided:-) I should know better than to get into these crazy amount of time warp expeditions and just do the 15 or 20 minutes of modeling. I think I spent 5 or 6 hours and got no where and somehow graphisoft sent me an email saying that I've changed my registration info some how while registering for this crazy Modlar BIM nonsense. I finally got a 3d wine preservation column into my file but when I went to morph it or change its color or any other kind of adjustment to make it work....No luck at all. It was ridiculous.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

formworksdesign wrote:
Perhaps Dave Sanders' exceptional residential design library may be of use. There are six Sub-Zero and one U-Line models of wine refrigerators in his library in the Equipment folder (try 427R Wine Refrigerator, though no bottles). I thought it used to be in the Object Depository, but I couldn't see it. Try his site at http://www.dmsdesign.us/links.htm, under AC Goodies, Dave's GDL Library. I'm not certain of the library's compatibility with AC17, but it has been updated last September. You may also find other parts that may be useful as you proceed through your design.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry about that Jonathan. Try http://www.dmsdesign.us/ Then go to Links, Archicad Goodies, download Dave's GDL Library, Equipment folder, Sub-Zero, 427R Wine Refrigerator. Hopeful that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries, thank you for trying to help! will look when I get a chance.

Best, Jon

formworksdesign wrote:
Sorry about that Jonathan. Try http://www.dmsdesign.us/ Then go to Links, Archicad Goodies, download Dave's GDL Library, Equipment folder, Sub-Zero, 427R Wine Refrigerator. Hopeful that helps.
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Jonathan,

Thermador has 2 wine column objects in .GSM format on their own website which are not zipped. I tested them and they loaded without a hitch. http://www.thermador.com/trade/cad-files?category=wine-refrigerators&query=

I hope this helps.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!

NCornia wrote:
Jonathan,

Thermador has 2 wine column objects in .GSM format on their own website which are not zipped. I tested them and they loaded without a hitch. http://www.thermador.com/trade/cad-files?category=wine-refrigerators&query=

I hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Formworks,

Glad to hear you're finding some of my toys useful!

One thing to keep in mind for folks new to this software - Try to think a little wider than what an object is called in it's file name. In reality, a refrigerator is just a glorified cabinet... You could really use any suitable cabinet object to make a refrigerator, or any other type of 'cabinet style' appliance. A good example is dishwashers... I don't use a 'dishwasher' object... Rather, I'll use a single door cabinet, turn off the drawer, then adjust the handle parameters to get the handle positioned and looking the way I want. For scheduling, I've created parameter objects which are invisible on the working drawing, but get 'read' by the scheduling function. My dummy objects are coded with all the standard data fields to suit my schedule schemes. Additionally, I've setup parameter objects for most of the things I schedule frequently such as appliances, mechanical parts, plumbing fixtures, electrical fixtures, etc. If I don't have the precise object I need for the working drawing, I'll place a substitute object in the model that =looks= the way I want and give it an ID that will be ignored by the schedule scheme, then place the appropriate parameter object on top of it. I give the parameter object an ID that will be recognized by the schedule scheme, then fill in the data for scheduling on it, instead of the visible 'model' object.

Some other notes on cabinets:

Don't try to integrate the countertops and cabinet toes with the cabinet boxes. They don't do that in the field, and I don't try to do it on my model, either. My cabinet boxes are discreet elements that I can alter, move, resize, etc., that are placed between a slab element for the toe, and another slab element for the countertop. It gives you MUCH more control over it's configuration and display in both 2D and 3D modes.

Second, be creative with the cabinets. There's nothing stopping you from stacking three kitchen counter drawer elements one on top of another. If you make their edges invisible, you can use a simple, doorless cabinet element to create the end stiles. A perfect example is a refrigerator which I don't have a true model of in my library... I'll place two doorless cabinet elements on either side of 2-door cabinet with the drawer acting as the top cover panel of the fridge. I'll then stack a 2-door overhead cabinet on top of the 'fridge' to create the cabinet above (if that's what the design requires). The two doorless cabinet elements on either side of the 'fridge' cabinet serve as the edge stiles for the refrigerator space, as well as the end stiles of the cabinet above the fridge. In an elevation, it looks perfect.

On my custom cabinet objects, you can control the face frame conditions around all the edges, which is super-handy. The only one that's not optimized is the multi-drawer cabinet, which I never took the time to try and figure out how to do the lower rails between the drawers. Someday I'll figure it out and fix it. If I need that functionality, I'll often just stack single drawer cabinets to get what I desire.

As far as wine bottles, There's a nifty wine bottle object in my library that does all the standard volume wine bottles, allows you to control their resolution, and also their inclination from standing vertical, to laying on their side and any angle you desire in between. I've also got a parametric wine racking object based on the 'official' stick-framed wine cellar racks that the real wine snobs prefer. I'll frequently place the racking object inside of an ordinary cabinet with a glass panel door, load it with bottles and there you go... I wine cooler!

My cabinet objects have a ton of user-definable settings, which I've been meaning to write a 'crib sheet' for, but just haven't had time. That said, if you're using my cabinet objects, feel free to give me a phone call and I'll give you the quick seminar on using them... Once you learn how they work, you'll be able to do almost anything with them.

The main point is: Don't get tunnel vision with GDL objects. Most of the components of a building are simple shapes with a few added do-dads like paneled doors, knobs or some stuff inside them. Mix and match whatever you need to make 'the shape', then use a separate, dedicated object to store it's data for scheduling or listing.

I still use AC9.... One reason I can is that I took the time to learn how to write a little GDL to make things that do what I need. Check out my moulding objects... They're much more practical for real-world objects than the complex profile tools because you can control their end miters in both axes, assign materials to them individually, and control their appearance in 2D, 3D and Section completely independently. In other words, I don't miss the complex profile tool one bit... I've had one already since the early days of AC9. Yes... You can indeed apply user-defined profiles to them... There's notes on that within their code when you open them up in the GDL editor, you'll see those notes in the 'Comment' script. Like anything, there's some learning curve, but it's short. 🙂

My opinion is that learning at least rudimentary GDL coding is absolutely crucial to getting the most out of AC, just like learning AutoLISP was crucial to optimizing AutoCAD in the old days. Always, ALWAYS look 'under the hood' of your CAD / BIM software, or you'll probably be missing a huge proportion of it's true functionality. It'll require some weekends and off-the-clock time... If you're not into that, then you may be in the wrong profession (and I mean that in the kindest terms; I'm not trying to be snarky). I was a good manual draftsman in the old days, and I look at digital drafting the same way... I'm always trying to expand my skills. One of my challenges over the years has been creating digital drawings that are as 'pretty' and as well crafted as our old manual drawings with good lineweights, organized data presentation and logical formatting. As my mentor once told me years ago, "Good drawings get respect." That's central to having your great ideas faithfully constructed in the field.

Like I said.. Feel free to call me any time about using any of my GDL objects. Never mind the hour of the day... Leave a message and I'll call you back. Not a problem. If we talk face-to-face, It's easier to see what you're after rather than exchanging a dozen e-mails or forum posts (at least for me).

Hope that helps.