cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

error in 2D view?

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi , i am new to archicad.
I used autcad before.
And i met an error in 2D view.
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you.
Your directions is useful for breaking the ice with GDL. Object looks perfectly in 3D and 2D view windows.

I think I can make about 95% of the objects(transformer,Vacuum Circuit Breakers....) in my domain,not now ,but later soon.

And next GDL object is Over head Line, somthing like rope, any suggestions?

David Maudlin
Rockstar
ynwsbox2008;

I am very glad you were able to get the results you wanted by your own efforts. Knowing some GDL really opens up what can be accomplished in ArchiCAD.

As for the overhead line, you might try searching the forum first for links to free GDL object sites, I have a vague recollection of someone making an object like this. If you decide to tackle it, I would probably start with the Revolve command, define the profile of the wire itself, then calculate the sweep angle based on the distance to cross and the amount you want the line to droop. One advantage of this command is you can use the Resol statement to control the resolution, you will want a minimal amount of resolution as this type of object, when multiplied, starts throwing a lot of polygons into the model, slowing down 3D times.

Good luck,

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
If you decide to tackle it, I would probably start with the Revolve command, define the profile of the wire itself, then calculate the sweep angle based on the distance to cross and the amount you want the line to droop.
The problem with the revolve is that it will produce a circular arc rather than the catenary (parabolic) curve which will look wrong even to a casual observer. Of course it means breaking out the old geometry texts for the formula and sorting out how to put the values into a tube statement, which is fairly advanced GDL programming.

The other part to consider is how the element will be seen. If it is only for line drawings (hidden line views and section/elevations) or sketch renders, then a 3D line is all that is needed. For colored/shaded rendering a single flat surface might suffice. Since the power lines are typically seen only at a distance they should not require much detail.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe it.
So nice to get all the directions.
ha.jpg