BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.
SOLVED!

License borrowing

Just want to double check the status of this.

We have had the ability to "check out" or borrow licenses for a long time but it now seems to have been discontinued.

For us this is a huge issue if the ability to borrow licenses has been removed.

We currently have some of our licenses on premise and some on an external site in order to facilitate work and redundancy.

However, we also have staff that work in areas where internet is patchy at best or extremely slow. For them the need to borrow a license is essential as they can't work otherwise...

...so, what is the actual status of this function - and if it is ineed removed, when is it planned to return?

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MinhNguyen
Advocate

From the screenshot, I could see that only License 02 has the ability to give a borrow license. It's an additional product on top of the existing license, so if you don't have it on the other key with 5 licenses, you won't be able to use borrow function here. The number of borrowable licenses equals the number of "Borrowing License" you can see in your pool, in this case only 1.

Regarding the error: the second error is not really an error. If you click Connect, the process should continue (if there is a borrowable license available).

The first error is more serious. There's not a lot of info I can get from here, usually I need a cmdust log after the error happens. Anyhow, I could see that you had 2 license servers. Maybe you haven't set up Codemeter on the server to allow the Borrowing function? Also, as we can only borrow one license here, better check if your Archicad is getting a license from the server where there is a borrowable license available

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MinhNguyen
Advocate

Hi there,

Borrowed licenses will expire after a fixed number of days (by default it's 30 days). During this period, the person who borrowed the license can return the borrowed license. But from the server (borrowing) side, I don't recall having an option to "take back" the borrowed license.

If you're asking about the borrowing license, it still exists, but it's an extra product/contract on top of the existing key. As far as I know, you won't be able to purchase new borrowing licenses, only use the current one - better check with your reseller about this.

Cheers,

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

Thank you Minh

It seems we have issues with the "Borrowing" aspect of this.

We are trying to figure out what the issue may be and we get two different types of error messages (Images: Error 01, Error 02).

The question is if any number of our soft licenses can be borrowed for that 30 day period?

For example: from a key with 5 seats (Image: License 01) - can all 5 be borrowed for 30 days or does the borrowing only apply to the key with the single "Borrowing license" (Image: License 02)

20230530 - Borrow License 01.png

20230530 - Borrow License 02.png

20230530 - Borrow Error 01.png

20230530 - Borrow Error 02.png

Solution
MinhNguyen
Advocate

From the screenshot, I could see that only License 02 has the ability to give a borrow license. It's an additional product on top of the existing license, so if you don't have it on the other key with 5 licenses, you won't be able to use borrow function here. The number of borrowable licenses equals the number of "Borrowing License" you can see in your pool, in this case only 1.

Regarding the error: the second error is not really an error. If you click Connect, the process should continue (if there is a borrowable license available).

The first error is more serious. There's not a lot of info I can get from here, usually I need a cmdust log after the error happens. Anyhow, I could see that you had 2 license servers. Maybe you haven't set up Codemeter on the server to allow the Borrowing function? Also, as we can only borrow one license here, better check if your Archicad is getting a license from the server where there is a borrowable license available

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

Thanks Minh,

That helps alot. We actually have 4 license servers, two on-prem and two off-site (yep, we are big on redundancies).

Regarding the Borrowing License - I had the feeling this was the case - but just wanted to check.

Need to look further into it then 🙂

Learn and get certified!