Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC17- Impossibly Slow when Priority Based Connections ON.

Eduardo Rolon
Decided to take the day and upgrade my current project to AC17. As long as I work in Legacy mode with the connections the projects works fine and it is fast. If I turn PBC on the 3D regen slows down to a crawl. 3D window regen takes 10-15 min of processing.

Ideas?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

10 REPLIES 10
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Eduardo,

We are interested to see why this is happening. I have sent you an email with a request for more details to investigate this further.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Eduardo Rolon
Will upload the file when I arrive at the office.
Thanks.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
BTW it is a TW project does that make a difference on what you need uploaded?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thanks for sending in the file. We can continue on this subject via email.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We have looked at the file. Eduardo is right, 3D regeneration indeed takes up several minutes after unticking the 'Use legacy intersection methods for model elements' button.

However this is the process of creating all the Priority Based Connections for every intersecting element instead of the legacy connections. Given that this project is rather large, the calculation takes up some time, but this process is done only once for the project. After every calculation has been made and the file is saved, it will return to a normal speed in every view.

Best regards,
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Eduardo Rolon
FYI the project is still slow even after waiting for the regen of PBCs and doing a send and receive to the teamwork file. I am trying to verify why it is not saving the connections.

Every time I open the file and switch to the 3D Window I have to wait about 10 minutes for the project to be available. Once it does it behaves ok but this was never a issue on 16 or in 17 with legacy connections.

Will try leaving the project and joining again to see if it makes any difference
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Leaving the project and rejoining does nothing to improve it, nor using wireless or wired connection to the server.

10 minutes to open the 3D window for the first time on Macbook Pro Retina, the other working on a i5 iMac have not notice any slowdown.

Only one core working for the 3D window.
Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 2.33.22 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Eduardo,

Thanks for your feedback and for the additional testing you have done on this issue.

We have looked deeper into this problem as well:
We can see that the terrain has been created with a huge slab element from which you have cut off - with SEOs - the unnecessary parts by meshes. Unlike in AC 16 and before, from AC 17 this slab element intersects with all the walls, fences, objects etc.

The generation of the 3D model in AC 17 works like this:
First all the PBC connections are created only then are the Solid Element Operations applied. In your situation this results in a terrible amount of unnecessary intersection calculation between the slab element's (yet to be) removed part and all the other elements.

To prevent these unnecessary calculations, the layer intersection group of the layer (Si | Terrain: Restante) containing the huge slab can be changed to another value (e.g.. 0, or a number which is not used by other layers.) This way the slab element won't be intersected with every element and the 3D regen is done in a few seconds.
I hope this change solves the slowness for you as well.
Best regards,
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Eduardo Rolon
That makes sense. Will try when I arrive at the office later today and let you know.

Will need to review old version tricks of doing stuff. If I remember correctly this project was started on 14.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator