Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Above Story, Below Story views

rm
Advisor
In the world of hand drafted drawings, if one was drawing something above your home story/floor, you would draw it with a dashed line. The same element when viewed from above would be drawn with a solid line.

This is pretty much how it worked in AC 9 , maybe AC 10 too....and it worked pretty well.

Then Graphisoft thought to change how this works....like changing all the menu locations, this was a bad idea.

For example, first story is 10' high. I want to draw a ceiling 2' thick with a slab above. Normally I would go up to the second story, draw the slab there. From the second story the slab is viewed with a solid line at the perimeter. As a portion of it extends horizontally past an exterior wall forming a ledge, when viewed from below, that same slab perimeter should show up as a dashed line when on the first storey....as it did in AC 9 ( and I believe in 10 as well )

Then comes AC 11. If I draw that slab on story 2, no matter what multitude of settings I choose I cannot get it to show up on story 1 as a dashed line at the perimeter. If I try to cut and past that same slab from the second floor down to the first floor, it dissapears, as it is higher than the limits of the first floor.....who thought this change was a good idea??? t

I suspect AC 11 can do what I am asking for, but again, it must be barried so deep in menus I can't seem to make it work. BTW, I have used AC for 14 years, so I am not new to this. The AC 11 interface has really messed me up.....and I suspect other legacy users as well.

Hope someone can explain how to make this work.

Thank you!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
rm wrote:
In the world of hand drafted drawings, if one was drawing something above your home story/floor, you would draw it with a dashed line. The same element when viewed from above would be drawn with a solid line.

This is pretty much how it worked in AC 9 , maybe AC 10 too....and it worked pretty well.

Then Graphisoft thought to change how this works....like changing all the menu locations, this was a bad idea.

For example, first story is 10' high. I want to draw a ceiling 2' thick with a slab above. Normally I would go up to the second story, draw the slab there. From the second story the slab is viewed with a solid line at the perimeter. As a portion of it extends horizontally past an exterior wall forming a ledge, when viewed from below, that same slab perimeter should show up as a dashed line when on the first storey....as it did in AC 9 ( and I believe in 10 as well )

Then comes AC 11. If I draw that slab on story 2, no matter what multitude of settings I choose I cannot get it to show up on story 1 as a dashed line at the perimeter. If I try to cut and past that same slab from the second floor down to the first floor, it dissapears, as it is higher than the limits of the first floor.....who thought this change was a good idea??? t

I suspect AC 11 can do what I am asking for, but again, it must be barried so deep in menus I can't seem to make it work. BTW, I have used AC for 14 years, so I am not new to this. The AC 11 interface has really messed me up.....and I suspect other legacy users as well.

Hope someone can explain how to make this work.

Thank you!
It's still the same as it was before but now there are more choices of what stories you want to see it on. You can even show outlines and coverfills on different stories.

Make sure your "Construction Elements" are set in the preferences to show solid above and dashed below home storey.
Draw your slab in the upper storey and in its properties set it to show one storey down and it will appear dashed when viewing the storey below.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Thomas Holm
Booster
rm wrote:
Sometimes old users like me need to take a crash course on how to efficiently utilize the features of new versions...

AC11 is so much better than AC8 and previous. THere is absolutely nothing you could do in 8 that you can't in 11. And so much more in addition! I sincerely recommend a few hours update with an expert. Find a some option near you!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dwight
Newcomer
There's nothing like reading the manual when you get the update to learn about changes in software. Archicad even has a thing called "New Features Guide" to speed the updating process. Not that the dashed slab issue is simple for an old-timer.

I see software developers in a great dilemma - do you try to keep the interface the same as long as possible to minimize the impact of change or do you cue old users with major interface changes so they get down to learning those changes.

Graphisoft seems to mix the old and the new for the worst possible outcome - existing menu structures just get longer, more complex and confusing. Recent examples would include the slab dashed line issue and the plain door opening issue.

We can always hope for a modernized interface.
Dwight Atkinson